Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

roost shooting

Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Spike

What ever blows up your skirt! If it is legal have at it! Any idiot can shoot a tom out of a tree!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

RR that was in my early days and I learned that very quickly not to call. As you said I was made.....

But the outcome was just fine with me. He was my only 27 lb bird to date.....

JW
Old 04-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you shoot it out of a tree then your not a turkey hunter , your a turkey killer simple...
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Okay so this is getting a little confusing to me. I thought a roost was a place that a bird, fowl whatever goes to rest or sleep. So if a bird is in a tree it is on a roost. What does the time of day have to do with it? I was thinking there was a reason they didn't want them shot on the roost now I am not so sure. I am also in Ontario and I am starting to think maybe its okay to shoot them off the roost as long as its daylight. I know that in Michigan it is illegal to take a turkey while they are in a tree, period. So when it comes to shooting turkeys in a tree what is and isn't ethical? Really confused !!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Spike

Shooting birds from a tree ahhhh the memories .
I walked into my faverite bush seen a turkey in a tree boooom then i went home after picking up my qaurry wow something to tell the kids and grandkids friends wow i see the draw to take this method up . lol Not . Ill stick to the ole do my home work and take the chance of failing its much more appealing and you learn the wa of the gobbler in the process .
GE
Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

I've never been close enough to shoot one out of a tree.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

I am also in Ontario and I am starting to think maybe its okay to shoot them off the roost as long as its daylight
are you the same timbrhuntr from OTB? If so then you aleady thinks it's okay to roost shoot them don't you? which seems kind of strange 'cause you spent a bunch of time talking about targeting only 4 or 5 yr old toms because they are more of a "challenge". what is it, do you want a challenge or do you want to be a turkey killer?

JW, i enjoyed your story of your hunt. thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OntElk
are you the same timbrhuntr from OTB? ". what is it, do you want a challenge or do you want to be a turkey killer?
I want to be just like you. You are my hero because you know it all.

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 04-11-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
I want to be just like you. You are my hero because you know it all.
Sorry I certainly don't know it all! Do write about my experiences though to share with other - read em or leave em - it don't matter to me. And I learn each year I am out there...

Thanks

JW
Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Ethics can be a slippery slope. There's a fair number of people who think decoys are not ethical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.