Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

roost shooting

Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default roost shooting

unfortunately here in Ontario they screwed up and didn't put a law making roost shooting illegal. It burns my butt but for the most part guys don't do it and so I think there is no thought by the DNR to change it all.

I saw this on an Ontario hunting forum recently and just wondered what you guys think of this? (they were discussing how close they have been to birds and this comment was in his post)

I had a similiar occurrence but figured nobody would ever believe me. Last year I shot a tom off the roost and scattered the flock. I was just sitting there enjoying the mourning and about to get up and get the downed bird....
I am amazed and dissappointed that not only do we have guys who call themselves turkey hunters like this but also dissappointed that no one even calls the guy on it. would you? does this bother you?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Spike

Some guys just have no ethic's or for that matter morals so they go do stuff like this and then brag about it later sad really spending all the time and money to getoutfitted to HUNT and they do that to each his own but i dont like it myself and think it should be banned.
GE
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personal decision.

It's legal.

Not my cup of tea.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Personal decision.

It's legal.

Not my cup of tea.
Exactly.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 AM
Spike

Since it's legal, that's fine because he had every right to do so. Sad thing is he won't learn a thing about turkeys or turkey hunting doing it that way. Really no different than sneaking in on a bedded buck and shooting him when you technically could have called him in as well. Again, just comes down to individual preference.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Seen a couple of hunters in Iowa going out late evening with spotlights and knew they where turkey hunters........not my cup of ethics.......

I would not shoot one on the roost but would you shot one out of a tree if you had called to it and it came to you?.....

JW
Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

I hear where you're coming from on that JW. I mean where do you draw the line?...jumps up on a log, low hanging limb, or flys up into a tree. To be honest as I sit here if a bird came to me and for some reason flew up into a tree to get a look I think I'd not shoot it. It would be weird to see and I think I am more likely to chuckle at that bird thinking he knows the "unwritten code" of turkey hunters and deserves a pass lol.

I guess I am a little defensive on turkey hunting here. We don't have generations ahead of us mentoring new hunters in the ways and traditions of the great sport it is. I have had the privelage of hunting down south in your country and up here with some die hard turkey hunters and the respect and traditions has rubbed off on me for sure. I am a sponge when it comes to listening to guys like you and jalva, bosstom etc. I also see more and more die hard, hard core turkey hunters in Ontario who do take the passion to a great extent. We are building a tradition in other words so you get bothered by such a drastic difference of perspective.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've not been hunting Turkeys very long,but it seems to me what makes it a great bird to hunt is all the steps that lead up to the kill. First scouting and locating his core area.Second getting to that area in the morning or evening without bumping them.Third setting up the decoys if used or just picking a good ambush location.Fourth calling Him in and getting to interact and view the strutt or drawing the hens in with him.Fifth making a good shot after succeding in not being detected by all those eyes and ears. And lastly the feeling of satisfaction when it has all come together and the pictures of a smiling hunter who worked hard to capture that moment. So for me shooting one out of a tree has no appeal.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Whoa hold the presses - read what I write as it is from expereince but its not gospel! I, like you have learned from reading and then making my own mistakes. Ontelk thank you......but I don't try to make the same mistake twice.........I still admire a hunter who runs and guns and continues to score. Those days are pretty much done for me......I do scout and scout hard and be where the birds want to be......that is half the battle.....

Now back to your roost question. To take one from the roost before fly-down is a turkey sin and one can not call themselves a hunter. They can call themselves a killer though. A hunter is not a killer but one who cherishes the thrill of the chase.
There are 5 phases to being a hunter and most never reach the end phase and some that do go back a phase or two......

I did have a bird I was working in a Iowa river bottom come flying at me from a ridge and across a water to get to me.....no decoy out, just me running and gunning......I could see him coming through the huge silver maples trees as there was very little underbrush. Twisting - turning - nice bird - nice long beard. I did have a in fornt of me bird and this was not the bird I was working. The bird I was working was in the tree tops inf ront of me and the tops where at least a good 40 to 50 ft high. I had snuck down towards him in the early morning after he announced where he was. This other tom I thought was a hen as it yelped and did not gobble. Anyhow I heard the flap of wings, and here comes this Tom flying right at me from the direction of that yelping. I figured he would hit the ground in front of me and it would be over quick. I sat a river obttom with very little vegetation in front with my back to a silver maple tree that would easily cover 2 people. The trees where huge! Long time ago there was a picture of a nice flying tom in flight with the wings spread and the beard clearly seen on the bottle label of the liquor product called Wild Turkey. That is what I saw coming at me. It was amazing.
But, to my chagrin he found the only limb, 20 ft up on the only tree, 20 ft in front of me to perch on and that is what he did. I was pinned as he could see the whole bottom. I did have the gun on him but could not move. So what do you do?
I had called and this bird had answered but it was yelping. But with the yelping I heard I thought it was a hen and not a Tom. The gobbles I heard where in front of me somewheres up to 40 to 50 ft above me and out another 40 to 50 yards or so. And here you have a nice Tom perched in range to which you did call to you.
So think bad of me if you want - I shot it - not once, but twice. The first shot the Tom never moved - or at least it did not appear too. The second I felt - "Oh no he is stuck on that limb 20 to 30 ft up!" What do I do now? And then he teetered a bit back and forth and fell do the river bottom with a plop! Sound like a cow taking a dump!

But I have been in situations I have seen the Tom in the roost witin ragne as I misjudged the distance and snuck in way too close and have passed all shots at them. To me that is their sacred sanctuary.

And I will give you more food for thought.
You are having a tough day - you crow call and the Tom answers - do you realise that doing this it is illegal in a certain state? Its called stalking. So you had better know your regulations.

JW
Old 04-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here in this state any turkey in a tree is off limits. That does not matter if it flew in and landed in a tree or was still in it's roost. In a tree is in a tree and for myself ( now I am speaking for myself here) it is off limits.. The thought may cross my mind but other days are coming..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.