Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bird 4 Down

Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bird 4 Down

Went to the home place this morning but this bird was gobbling across a big hollow over on a section of land that ajoins the home place that we call the lease place. I really did not want to walk through that bottom which has a creek in it and a thicket on both sides of that creek that would give Tarzan pause. But he was the only bird gobbling. So I went through the briar thicket; waded the creek and went through the rest of the thicket on the far bank. Now my feet are wet and the front of my legs look like I've been in a knife fight in a phone booth. But he was still gobbling. The woods he was in were so thick you couldn't see 5 feet. But I knew there was a little road that cut through those woods near were he was roosted. I figured that's where he would fly down. I made it to the edge of the road and heard him gobble up that road to my left. Problem was there was not a good place to set up. The woods were so thick you could not see up or down the road without stepping out into the road. I took my box call out and yelped softly to gauge were he was. Nothing. I yelped again and he gobbled not 30 yards up the road to the left. Obviously he had already been coming my way. It was a strange sounding gobble. Kind of like a immature gobble. So I backed up in the bushes about 10 feet where I could still see the road and sat down. All I could do was try to shoot him as he passed me in the road. I got the gun on my knee and reached over and scratched in the leaves and straw. He didn't gobble or drum but withing a minute I saw him. And through the bushes in the low light (about 6:30) I wasn't sure if it was a jakes head or not. (Remember the weird gobble). So I waited. Finally he moved a few steps forward into a little better gap and I saw that beard. No doubt then. BOOM! Load of Hevi-13 at 12 steps. And he's a fine gobbler.
Tale of the tape.
18lbs
11 1/2 inch Beard.
1 3/8 inch right spur and 1 7/16 inch left spur.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Spike

Nice hooks!!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen guns that will shoot a ways, but never one that will shoot 4 days into the future. Nice bird though.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah In looked at the calender wrong. I though it was the 9th. Even reset the freaking camera when the pictures first showed up with the 6th on them. Night shift and lack of sleep does weird #### to your brain.

Last edited by Todd1700; 04-06-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I've seen guns that will shoot a ways, but never one that will shoot 4 days into the future. Nice bird though.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Geez Todd - was gonna make a smack comment at what Piggly Wiggly you hunting at now for bird 4 and I see the pics......WOW

Nice tom sir - very nice and that is no smack!

JW
Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice one TODD1700 spurs look like Turkish Knives,wicked. I have only killed 2 birds in my life and you got 4 in one season,I live in the wrong state. Nice work man.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never underestimate the power of a Mossberg 835. They throw turkey patterns that cannot be contained within a single dimension and occasionally break through the very fabric of space/time itself. LOL!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice bird
Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Nice bird congrats on your 4th tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.