Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New gun! need help please. >

New gun! need help please.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New gun! need help please.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default New gun! need help please.

Just purchased a remington 11-87 super magnum. I bought a primos jelly head choke also have a undertaker. I was wondering if anybody had any ammo ideas for me. I tryed winchester supremes, didnt like those much.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington Nitro Turkey number 5's in the 3" or 3 1/2 if your gun shoots the magnums.6 shot might work well in the 3" size out to 40 yards for ya. Best way is to try each one with each choke and see what combo works the best for your new gun. Let us know what works after you decide by testing your choice.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Spike

I have the undertaker with my stoeger turkey and shoot Nitros #5 and have a great pattern. Of course every gun is different so experiment and find out what works best and stick with it!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jellyhead choke is made for Hevi shot if im not mistaken... Id try Hevi13 #6's
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

my 1100 in standard full choke liked the bigger shot 4-5. 6's didnt do well
ive always had good luck with bigger shot none of my guns like #6 for whatever reason
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Spike

Im with Turkeyslayer75 I shoot a stoeger m2000 and i added my smooth bore slug barrell with the undertaker choke shooting winchester supreme's #5s and many many gobblers have found out how well it works and at impressive ranges ( best shot 48 yrds ) Try a shorter barrel with a varity of shells one will work .
Good luck and shoot straight
GE
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Hevi Shot in either the magnum blend or the 6's. Both seem to shoot good out of my Jellyhead choke. Good luc
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Hevi Shot in either the magnum blend or the 6's.
This. Not cheap, but! By the time you buy 4 or 5 brands of standard lead shot you could have easily just gotten some Hevi-13 in either 6's, 7's or mag blends. Through that Jellyhead it will out pattern lead by a margin that would be considered a route in a football game.

Shoot at a full sized sheet of paper like poster paper or craft paper. It's the only way you can see what your whole pattern is doing and where your shotgun is throwing the center of the pattern. Trust me, many, many shotguns do not throw the center of their patterns perfectly in line with the bead down the barrel. It may take an adjustable sight to get you perfectly on target.

To fairly evaluate each shell you should clean your barrel a bit in between shots. You will see a drop in pellet count as your barrel starts to foul with plastic from the wads and residue from the prior shots. Not a major cleaning but one of those bore snakes pulled through the barrel a few times will suffice. A really thorough cleaning after the patterning session is recommended however. If you really want to get serious you can polish the inside of the barrel (as long as it's not chrome lined like a Benelli don't worry Remington's aren't) using a method you can easily look up on line.

With Hevi-13 from that gun you should easily be putting around 150 pellets inside a ten inch circle at 40 yards with the straight 6's; around 180 inside ten inches with the Mag Blend 5x6x7 duplex loads and well over 200 with the straight 7's. And yes the straight 7 hevi-13's will kill like cyanide to 40 yards.

Good luck and good shooting.

Last edited by Todd1700; 04-03-2012 at 12:57 PM.