HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Mossburg 835 Camo Ultimag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/361348-mossburg-835-camo-ultimag.html)

doetrain 03-29-2012 12:56 PM

Mossburg 835 Camo Ultimag

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone I just bought this used 835 Mossburg Ultimag to be my new Turkey gun,anybody got any insight on what choke works well with the 3 1/2 Heavy Shot shells. Also what size gets me out to 50 yards or so with this round,4,5,6's? I think I got a good deal for 285.00 bucks or did I pay to much? Input appreaciated. I added a picture of my new Turkey gun,I've given it a name,"THUMPER" just like my old racing 4 stroke 4 wheeler back in the 80's I really like the Old School Camo look,it has some age to it like me.

MKMGOBL 03-29-2012 01:05 PM

Kicks like a mule! That's my insight on it :s4: I'm not a fan on Mossburg but my buddy is and he uses a Kick's Gobbling Thunder with Winchester 3.5 6 shot. Not to say that''s what your gun will like seeing each gun like different chokes and loads but it's might be a start.

Congrats on the new gun and good luck :s4:

kdsberman 03-29-2012 04:40 PM

I shoot a Mossberg 835 and absolutely LOVE IT. Like MKMGOBL said, it kicks like a mule! I use a Primos Jellyhead choke tube and have excellent results with it. Remember, when buying a choke tube for Hevi-Shot, the choke tube HAS to be compatible with it. Some arent, so you have to make sure.

I used to use Winchester Supreme Double-X Mags, 3.5" #5's and had good results. But, a member on here and I had several discussions about Nitro Company shells. He kept urging me to buy some but I just couldnt do it. Well, I finally got talked into buying some and he was 100% right - NOTHING beats them. Do you have to have them to kill a turkey? Absolutely not. But, in my gun, NOTHING comes even close to comparing to a Nitro.

Good luck!

MKMGOBL 03-29-2012 04:53 PM

I second the Nitros :s4: If you can afford them, NITROs with a Rhino choke is the cats bottom. I used 4X6X7 loads out of my Benelli SBEII, Remington 870, Benelli M2 20ga and absolutely love em!

I had an issue using it here in NH because 7's were illegal. Too much trouble swapping loads to hunt other states but now that 7 shot is legal, I'll be going back to them for next year for sure.

doetrain 03-29-2012 05:34 PM

The Nitro Heavy shot your speaking of are they the Remington Nitro Turkey shells or is Nitro it's own brand?

Thunderchicken217 03-30-2012 04:09 AM

I personally love mine. I did polish the barrel with several different pieces of scotch brite, working from the roughest down to the smoothest to help with the pattern. This does help quite a bit or at least for mine it did. I shoot the Hevi 5,6,7 blended load and works great. I use a Hevi shot turkey choke as well and have had great results. As far as what you paid will have a little to do with what part of the world you live in as far as price. Here in MD I bought mine brand new for $335 about 3yrs back. Good Luck!

kdsberman 03-30-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by doetrain (Post 3925385)
The Nitro Heavy shot your speaking of are they the Remington Nitro Turkey shells or is Nitro it's own brand?

Own brand.

http://www.nitrocompany.com

turkey harvester 03-30-2012 07:09 AM

I just put a .680 kicks choke in mine and I love it. I shoot 3 1/2 #6's in lead and it is wicked. Does kick like hell, but it does a fine job.

doetrain 03-30-2012 07:20 AM

Thanks for all the insight everyone. I think I will shoot the gun today with the xx Mossburg choke thats in it,I have 5 and 6 shot shells from last year so rather than spend money right off the bat I'll see what it will do as stands. I will also get some 3 1/2 shells with 4,5,6 shot and give them a go around.

Bernie P. 03-30-2012 07:50 AM

Mine came with Mbergs Ultimag choke-.695 constriction.My advice would be to put on Kick Ezz' pad.I went with the second thickest they make.The thickest jumps up quite a bit more in price.With the 835 I've shot most birds with 3" 4 shot but I've taken them with both 4 and 6 shot using 2 3/4" shells to.Back in my 500 days all I ever used was 2 3/4" 4 shot.