Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Mossburg 835 Camo Ultimag >

Mossburg 835 Camo Ultimag

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossburg 835 Camo Ultimag

Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a good recoil pad! I've got one with a 20 inch barrel but a Simms recoil pad makes it tolerable. My gun loves 3.5" 2.25 Oz #6 Hevi-13s. I use a Primos Jelly Head choke. Pure Gold choke works great too, they both pattern about the same. Took a bird last year at about 50 yards, I under estimated the range but he took a dirt nap anyway.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys I shot that sucker Friday,and well it does kick like a mule! Put a Limb Saver butt pad on it before shooting it,glad I did,it only hurt a little with the 3 1/2 number 5 Nitro Turkey shells by Remington tried the 6 shot not as good as the 5. Looked at some Heavy Shot shells,35 bucks for 5 shells,ouch! Chokes anywhere from 21.00 bucks to 110.00,ouch again.
So I used the xx Mossburg Choke and it did very well, I took shots at 30,40,50 and 60 yards and I believe all were kills based on the hits. 40 yards and under are tight full patters with fewer hitting out to 60 but not bad for a cheap choke and middle of the pack shells. I'm happy for now with my chances at 50 or less yards in mostly clear woods or open field shots for sure. Thanks for all the input shared!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
Well guys I shot that sucker Friday,and well it does kick like a mule! Put a Limb Saver butt pad on it before shooting it,glad I did,it only hurt a little with the 3 1/2 number 5 Nitro Turkey shells by Remington tried the 6 shot not as good as the 5. Looked at some Heavy Shot shells,35 bucks for 5 shells,ouch! Chokes anywhere from 21.00 bucks to 110.00,ouch again.
So I used the xx Mossburg Choke and it did very well, I took shots at 30,40,50 and 60 yards and I believe all were kills based on the hits. 40 yards and under are tight full patters with fewer hitting out to 60 but not bad for a cheap choke and middle of the pack shells. I'm happy for now with my chances at 50 or less yards in mostly clear woods or open field shots for sure. Thanks for all the input shared!
Glad you like it, because it is an awesome gun!

I never shoot mine without a Lead Sled anymore. Just gets too sore after a while.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine patterns great with a Primos Jelly Head. It patterns great with a Pure Gold too. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

After trying several load/choke combinations for my 835, I settled on Hev-shot magnum blend out of a Hevi-shot brand choke...constriction of .676. Great patterns. 205 hits in a 9" circle at 40 yards.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
After trying several load/choke combinations for my 835, I settled on Hev-shot magnum blend out of a Hevi-shot brand choke...constriction of .676. Great patterns. 205 hits in a 9" circle at 40 yards.
Sounds like a perfect combo,I would like to go that route but them dollars is hard to come buy at this time. Will get through this season with the stock set up which shoots real good at 40 yards.A xx Mossburg choke and 3 1/2 Remington Nitro Turkeys which I tested and it was deadly at that distance.