Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot pattern.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
Simp, I did not want to affend you here and was Not taking any shot at you either. I just want to smooth over this Nitro train that they are the end all of turkey loads. Your right they kill birds yes I did it in Florida a number of times but they just never killed them any better then other loads.

Now you seem to be proud of the success you have had with them with your statement so just out of intrest How many birds have you taken with these shells ?
No offense taken Adrian! They're definitely not the "end all" turkey load. They just happen to work exceptionally well for my gun/choke combo. Every turkey that I put the bead on while using Nitro shells, with the exception of one, has been killed. The one exception being I grossly misjudged the distance shooting in an open field and missed cleanly. I don't get caught up in numbers, sorry, but it's my opinion that the "sugarshot", is invaluable at my normal turkey killing ranges, which is out to 50 yards. I certainly like my turkeys closer, but 50 yards is within my limits with my setup. My belief is that a pellet in the head going 1200 fps is a pellet in the head going 1200 fps whether it's a #7 shot, #5 shot or a 00 buck. Obviously I'm going to want more than one pellet to strike any turkey that I shoot, but you get my point.

Last edited by Simp; 03-26-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Sorry... my laser rangefiner read 39yards.... not 40. We'll see what happens here on the April 27 (opening day).
See there! We all knew you were lying!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
This thread is causing a lot controversy. Maybe I should just shut my mouth and leave the posts to all the "PROFESSIONALS" who own $1000 Turkey guns and shoot shells that cost $50 a box because they can afford it. I shot several different ranges 30,35,40.... there was not a whole lot of difference in the patterns. Sorry I got my gun shooting well... that's life. And I sure didn't pay no $10 per shell....lmao. Like I said...I'll put my money where my mouth is. Wait till I get a bird within 40yards. It's time to put up guys and gals..... Of course I'm just having some fun, but Ill be posting a picture of my first bird here before long.

P.S. And I do appreciate all the info. You are all a great bunch here!
No need to apologize! You found a combo that works! That just proves that you don't have spend a small fortune on finding that "perfect" combo. Don't worry about those guys. They're just jealous, including me!

Last edited by Simp; 03-26-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe i miss understood your post... You said lead shot right???

If your talking about Hevi shot then your pattern MIGHT be a lot more believable... But lead, NO WAY!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never mind I just read post #6...

Then you woke up...

Been doing this way to long and have been all cought up in the hevi shot BS to buy that one!!!

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 03-26-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
First of all... Im hear to tell ya there is no way that is a 40 yard pattern with Lead!!! More like 20 yards...

I've been doing this to long to buy that one...

You might want to re write that post
I just went back and looked over the pattern in question and hate to say it , but I have to agree with ML. Your rangefinder is way off sorry, there is no way that is lead at 40 yards. I as well have seen to much range testing. With that said if i'm wrong , you have a new world record turkey patterning gun that can out shoot all hevi loads at the still shoots ...

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 03-26-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Simp
Nitro is made by Nitrocompany.com. They're out of Missouri I believe and while expensive, they flat out perform. My .660 Jellyhead loves the 3.5" 4x5x7's. In a 10" circle @ 40 yards it'll put 300+ pellets in it. I bought a box of 25 about 6 years ago and haven't bought any since. That's not too bad for 5 years worth of ammo if you look at it that way.
So going with that you pay $10 PER SHELL, you paid $250 per box of 25!!!! Thats far more than I would even begin to consider for a box of any kind of shell for anything I would be shooting.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
So going with that you pay $10 PER SHELL, you paid $250 per box of 25!!!! Thats far more than I would even begin to consider for a box of any kind of shell for anything I would be shooting.
Not exactly. If you buy a box of 5 they average about $10 per. A box of 25 is $150-$160, so it's cheaper, averaging about $6-$7 per, which is slightly more than what Hevi-shot or Hevi-13 shells are going for.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Simp
Not exactly. If you buy a box of 5 they average about $10 per. A box of 25 is $150-$160, so it's cheaper, averaging about $6-$7 per, which is slightly more than what Hevi-shot or Hevi-13 shells are going for.
They may work for others, I just will not be one of them. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Spike

I'm just glad the combos I've tried over the years kill turkeys dead. I've had the miss fortune of injuring one bird. And have had the unexplainable clean misses. Thankgod very few. But I go into each season with the confidence in my weapon. I shot extended range 3"5's for several seasons. Then last year went to the magnum blends to try somethin else, just for the heck of it. But no matter what I use I know where the center of my pattern is to 50 yds. Beyond my preference of 40 yds and in. If his head is centered in a decent pattern. No matter how much the cost he's givin up the ghost. The debate on shells goes on forever. Or what somebody spends on shells. There was a time when there wasn't specialized turkey ammo or specialized turkey guns. The turkeys died the same. But my preference, well, is my preference. As long as im knocking them to the ground for good and not havin issues I will use whatever does the job cleanly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.