Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Thunder chickens starting early in Virginia >

Thunder chickens starting early in Virginia

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Thunder chickens starting early in Virginia

Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Hopefully this cold (normal) tempatures won't shut them completely down. Looking forward to a great season hopefully.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

went out and checked some birds and saw some strutting and gobbling so early start in ontario
Old 03-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

We have had some very warm tepms. I decided to research the effect of the temps on breeding. The expert info I recieved was written by Lyle Williams a well know turkey expert. He stated that the heat causes the toms to gobble- gobbles are cheap. The hens base breeding on length of the daylight hours. Since eggs are expensive to make nature leaves the breeding up to her. So if we had 4-5 years of warm winters and then a flux in temps to very cold the early breeding it could essentially wipe out the turkeys in an area. This was the reasoning given. Now I also found from the NWTF that sometimes the hens will accept the toms early but hold the sperm till ready to lay.

Mr williams also stated that in certain areas of the country toms will start gobbling in late fall due to warm temps and not stop all winter. So that is what I found out. I had been very concerned, but feel better now. I am now just concerned with heavy greeniery, heavy bugs, heavy rain......hope a heavy turkey.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

ive been hearing a lot of gobbling going on, and some small bachelor groups running around.