Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How much to call?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default How much to call?

I know everything depends on the situation. And there is no right or wrong answer.
I am concerned that I may be calling to much. I was talking to my buddy, and he said he clucks and purrs and just clucks %90 of the time. Every 15 minutes he will cluck a few times and put the call down.
I am not talking about running and gunning, I am talking about setting up for 3 or 4 or more hours in an area you have either scene sign or birds in the past.
Tell me what you would do for these 3 scenarios?

1. You know there is a gobbler near. You have either heard him gobble that morning or scene him in that area before?

2. New or old spot, not sure if there is a gobbler around?

3. You either see or here a hen in the area? You are not sure if there is a gobbler?

Thanks, John
Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

same answer in all 3 although but you are right when you say there is no "right" answer. I would assume there is a gobbler in all 3 scenarios. If I didn't think so I would find a new spot so that's my first and most improtant thought process in the 3 scenarios. It does depend but in general my thoughts would be:

1. let the woods dictate what I do. if birds are active and talking lots then I talk lots. For example in #3 if you know a hen is there because she is yelping away then I would yelp away as well. If the woods are quiet then subtle and quiet makes more sense to me.

2. react to the gobbler. If I call soft and get nothing then maybe I fire it up and call like a fool. If neither works then I would say the gobbler who may be around is being quiet so I go quiet and sublte. Like your buddy does maybe only the odd cluck or purr occasionally.

3. Take a nap. Sometimes the best tactic I have is to lie back and enjoy the sounds of the woods. My alarm clock is that distant (or close) gobble. Good to have a friend to wake you up too lol.

If I believe I am in a good spot then even no calling may work. Bottom line is turkeys move around so my good spot will hopefully have some bird activity eventually. When that activity happens I react to the situation. I move when I lose faith that the spot is "good" and/or I am just in the mood to go find a bird that will "play".
Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Ontelk has been trained by Adrain who is an excellent turkeyhunter in his own mind! Oh boy that oughta get things going!

No seriously Ontelk is spot on - let the bird dictate how much he wants to be called to. This is a learned lesson as each bird is different.

And I take lots of naps as suggested - I am old - however I come full awake if I hear a gobble and I will call every 15 to 20 minutes or so.....Start softly - very soft - wait a bit and then get a bit louder.......don't get caught in a simple rythym - mix it up with soft yelps. clucks and do cutt once an a while. Sometimes "Racket Calling" will fire ole Mr. Tom up.......and do listen for gobbles..........If you can hear him - he certainly can hear you....

And like Ontelk - 85% of my turkey hunting is scouting - I wait in places I have seen Toms - find the hens nesting - a Tom is close by.....always....so I sit with the sun at my back in the shadows and become a bush......

JW

Ps - Sorry OntElk and Adrian but I hadda do it lol
Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Ontelk has been trained by Adrain who is an excellent turkeyhunter in his own mind! Oh boy that oughta get things going!

No seriously Ontelk is spot on - let the bird dictate how much he wants to be called to. This is a learned lesson as each bird is different.

And I take lots of naps as suggested - I am old - however I come full awake if I hear a gobble and I will call every 15 to 20 minutes or so.....Start softly - very soft - wait a bit and then get a bit louder.......don't get caught in a simple rythym - mix it up with soft yelps. clucks and do cutt once an a while. Sometimes "Racket Calling" will fire ole Mr. Tom up.......and do listen for gobbles..........If you can hear him - he certainly can hear you....

And like Ontelk - 85% of my turkey hunting is scouting - I wait in places I have seen Toms - find the hens nesting - a Tom is close by.....always....so I sit with the sun at my back in the shadows and become a bush......

JW

Ps - Sorry OntElk and Adrian but I hadda do it lol
What kind of bush?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

while listening to Col.Tom Kelly tell a story one night. he said something that has stuck with me. back in the old days when folks were killing turkeys when there were no turkeys. guys liked to hunt in pairs. one guy would call 2 or 3 times then give the call to the second guy. the second guy would then leave so the first guy could not call anymore. i know he was just being funny but there is always some truth in a joke...............tony
Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

lol. the desired reaction was achieved JW! I laughed out loud! ....and you're right, that AJH fella learned me a thing or three. He also has been that aformentioned friend who's awoken me from a slumber in the timber.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies.
I am also in Florida hunting osceolas, which I have been told are a quiter bird.
And am also hunting public land, which probably makes the biggest difference.

John
Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep in mind that there's a good chance these birds have been called to a few times. If you get a tom's attention, don't answer him too many times. Soft contented calls and some scratching in the leaves has done in many longbeards.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

1. I make the gobbler gobble and I close in, the rest is all up to how he reacts and I adjust accordingly. If I can tell he is strutting I increase my yelping and move closer then stop and lay on the yelping and cutting, gets em every time.

2. same as 1

3. Find the gobbler and close in.
Everything depends on the gobblers reaction to my calling, but I always get in close as poss, I find it more effective than just calling every few min. and hoping for a gobbler.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

when a bird gobbles it is a whole new ball game but I think his question is when you don't have a gobbling bird. what then? I hear osceolas are much less apt to gobble on the ground after flydown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.