Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot size?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Mine likes #6s - Been there for almost 10 yrs:

Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Spike

I know turkey's get killed every year with 3 inch 7 1/2's according to a couple of coworker's so I must say you can really squeeze down on the 6's and have plenty of knockdown at 60 yards. Past 60 yards people are normally aiming for the breast at that range. I am not saying it is totally ethical by no means but body shot's are sometimes inevidable, by most hunters and normally the best turkey hunters will pass at that range because the strictly only take a head/neck shot. I respect this.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Spike

Come to think of it has anyone ever ballparked the media needed to semi replicate a turkey head, neck? I'm interested in knowing maybe a 1/4 inch plywood penetration test at 40 yards?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Spike

Win # 5's mine likes.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used 5 shot the first year and 6 the second,this will be my 3rd. season and I like the 6 shot in my Mossburg 500. Last year with the 6 I droped him at about 25 yards out and he never floped one time fell dead when hit. Only 2 pellets in the top of the breast meat and when I patterned my gun it consistantly stayed in a tight pattern. The only negative with the 6 is the longer distances if you do not hit the head or neck they bounce right off say at 50 yards. This happened to me with the first bird I took a shot at,he jumped and ran off to live another day.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
I used 5 shot the first year and 6 the second,this will be my 3rd. season and I like the 6 shot in my Mossburg 500. Last year with the 6 I droped him at about 25 yards out and he never floped one time fell dead when hit. Only 2 pellets in the top of the breast meat and when I patterned my gun it consistantly stayed in a tight pattern. The only negative with the 6 is the longer distances if you do not hit the head or neck they bounce right off say at 50 yards. This happened to me with the first bird I took a shot at,he jumped and ran off to live another day.
Now that's funny right there! Ain't no way some #6's are gonna bounce off a turkey! I've seen multiple birds killed beyond 50 with #6 that dropped with no flop. Would I rather have them closer? Absolutely! Will my #6's kill em at 50 yds? You better believe it!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Spike

I ve shot winchester extended range 5's for several seasons. But picked up some magnum blends for free. So gonna try em at the range. Extended range prices are out of hand. Good luck on the range and in the turkey woods.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by doetrain
Most of my shotguns pattern well with 6's. If you look on your shot weight and muzzle velocity 1300 or higher that will not bounce off a turkey's feathers at 50 yards or less.