Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey load question for a beginner... >

Turkey load question for a beginner...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey load question for a beginner...

Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey load question for a beginner...

I am going to start turkey hunting this spring. I have hunted my whole life, but am new to turkey hunting. The woods I deer hunt has gotten to have alot of turkeys the last couple of years.
I am disabled and have a low income so I am trying to get started without breaking the bank. I would also like to get a hen decoy. Already have a pop-up blind I use for deer hunting (may not use it at first as I need to do some scouting etc.)
The gun I will be using is a Mossberg 500 12ga with an 28" accuchoke barrel. (I may try with my Vortex crossbow in the fall)
I still need to buy a choke. (either full or a turkey choke)
My question is can I use the 3" copper-plated lead super pheasant loads? They say 1400fps on the box. The reason I am asking is because I will have to pattern my gun etc. And I don't have a whole lot of money for the expensive shells. I have read where people have used these loads for turkey and am hoping they will work okay since I can get a box for around $20. I also plan on getting a Knight & Hale Ultimate push-pull call, as well as an owl hooter locater call to use in the evenings to locate some birds on the roost. This year I am just trying to get started with the minimum equipment at the best price I can find. So my question is, do you think the 3" pheasants loads will perform well enough for a beginner, or should I get some actual turkey loads. I am getting tons of info from the site here. Just need to know about these shells so I can get my gun patterned. Thank you!!

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 03-01-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Spike

What size shot is in the shells you want to use? I would pattern what you have by shooting out to your maximum range (usually 40 yards). AFTER you shoot, draw a 10" circle around the densest part of the pattern and count the hits. You are looking for 2 things, most even pattern and the highest number of hits inside the circle. This gives you something to compare each shell/choke combo that you try. I use a mossberg 835 and shoot the HeviShot 13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 shot and get around 230 to 250 hits inside the circle. If you use larger shot, the hit count will go down, so you can't really compare #5 to #6 to #7...
If you are trying to stay with lead, try the Federal turkey loads with the flight control wad. They worked pretty well in my gun. As for a choke, check out SumToyCustoms.com. This is a custom choke maker and really great guy. William is the owner and will answer the phone. He will talk your ear off and give great advice. Best of all, you will pay for 1 choke (around $65) and he will keep making and sending you chokes until your gun patterns well. In the end, you have to return any chokes you don't want, but that is a great deal. I purchased 5 or 6 chokes (before finding out about SumToy) just to try them and when they didn't work well, I had to resell them. With SumToy, you pay for 1 choke and he works with you until the gun shoots well.
Hope this helps...

Last edited by PaTurkeyHntr; 03-01-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

well I'll chime in and say I think those loads would work but if you're buying a box just buy some of the high velocity turkey loads for around $15. I think you can get a cheaper turkey load than those fancy pheasant loads.

If you want a decent mass market choke I have seen great success from the undertaker from HS. For a $25 choke I've seen it perform well including in Mossbergs.

I like the wood QB push pin call over the plastic K&H.

If you're penny pinching save the money on the owl hooter. They'll gobble to your voice if you practice a wee bit on an owl hoot but sometimes just sitting out in the evening and let them do thier thing works fine to. Never put much stock in the night before roosting. Have had nothing work and then next morning gobbling everywhere. By contrast I can go out some evening and pass wind and they will gobble in response.

Instead of the owl hooter I'd add a box call to your push pin and then you have 2 turkey calls. The box will give you a louder call to reach out there. It is my favorite locator to use.

have fun
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Pa gave you some good thoughts but that is all the expensive stuff...Hevi-13, aftermarket choke. My thoughts will keep about $60 in your pocket which seemd to matter to you. Any modern day turkey load is going to kill a turkey dead out to 30 yds no problem. It's when you start getting into that 40plus range that tweeking things and getting higher performance equipment starts to make a difference.

Having the variety of calls to call 'em to 30 yds or closer will be a better way to develop as a turkey hunter anyway.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with OntElk on the hoot call. Just practice and use your voice. A hoot tube does sound better than my voice, but I still get them to respond to my voice. A decent choke and some cheap turkey loads would outperform the pheasant loads, I believe. The Undertaker is Ok...not great, but better than a factory full choke. I think they have them at Wal-Mart for $19.95. And you can get a box of 10 turkey shells for as low as $7-8 bucks there as well.

I would suggest getting a few mouth calls. They are cheap, and with just a little practice they are easy enough to use. Irreplaceable for getting a bird to move in those last several yards. With a little tweaking to the shape of the call to get it to fit your mouth correctly, just about any diaphragm call sounds good, no matter the cost. Can pick those up for as little as $5 apiece.

The hen decoy isn't necessary, but may help in some circumstances. My favorites are the inflatable ones, simply because they are the easiest to transport. They may not look as nice as some of the more expensive ones, but for $15 they do exactly what I want them to do.

Good hunting!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow!! Thanks for the responses. You guys just filled me in on about everything I was wondering about. That's cooll... I can get started for a lot less money than I originally thought. This will definately help out getting what I need. It's also good to know the things I don't necessarily need. I've seen some of the calls & chokes at Rural King and I'll look at some of the other stores also. There's a Dunham's not too far from here also a Gander Mnt. & WallyWorld (though I have an aversion to supporting wallyworld....lol)
Thanks again for all the info. I really appreciate getting the good advice from people who know.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Mossburg 535, which is similar to the 500, so your gun should work fine. For a choke, I've used the factory full choke for several years and it has worked fine as long as the turkey is within range. Also, keep in mind that your choke on that gun interchanges with Winchester, Weatherby, Browning Invector type threads. My 535 currently has a Winchester extra full choke in it. I also use Winchester Super X turkey shot. Not too expensive unless you start getting into the 3" or 3.5".

Other than a gun, some camo, and a call, the rest are usually just extra stuff. If you want that stuff, I would pick one thing up every year and learn to implement it before getting something else. Otherwise, it can get expensive. The important thing is to learn all you can about turkey hunting. You are on the right site for information and your own experiences are invaluable. Study their behaviors and learn some strategies for getting to them and for bringing them to you. That is what turkey hunting is all about. Don't give up and it will eventually pay off. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

I use an undertaker choke tube, and i think it's fine. I'd second what Bible Man says about mouth calls. I use the cheapest locator calls I can find (I tend to lose them). You can get a decent owl or crow call for under $10. If you can make it through the season with as little as possible, in my experience, Dick's usually runs some great clearances after the season.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'm using Super Pheasant loads for turkey this year also, btw the infamous Hevishot (Hevi 13 anyways) goes 1090 fps muzzle velocity, so why would Super pheasant not work as good?

and my brother called his first and only turkey in with a push pull call or it was something similar .

Last edited by thelukai1100; 03-01-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Mossberg 500 with a 24" barrel, with standard full choke. I kill turkeys just fine out to 35 yards with Winchester 3" #5 and #6 turkey loads. Because I shoot a full choke and not a tighter "turkey" choke, I now favor the #6 as they have about 100 more pellets per shell. A Mossberg standard full choke costs around $20, which leaves you more money to buy other things.

I never seem to get any response to owl locators. I have much better luck with a crow call. You need to really hammer on it a few times though. And don't assume there are no turkeys when you get no response to any locator call. Sometimes they just don't respond.

A #5 or #6 super pheasant load will kill a turkey, but they do have less total shot weight than a turkey load, correct? Pattern the gun and get the bird within your efffective range. Be sure to aim just under his head, so you don't shoot too high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.