Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
trouble finding #6 20ga turkey loads >

trouble finding #6 20ga turkey loads

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

trouble finding #6 20ga turkey loads

Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default trouble finding #6 20ga turkey loads

It seems like the only 20 ga turkey loads I can find are 4s and 5s. Why don't stores carry 6s? With a smaller payload than the 12 Id think people would want a few more pellets in there. I finally found some Federal Premier 3" 6s and I'm going to try them and see if I can get a little more range than the Win Supreme 5's are giving me.

6's are popular with many people in 12ga. Is there a reason stores don't carry 20 ga 6's???
rw
Old 03-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either of those will work fine.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Consider the number of pellets vs energy/pellet, but don't get too wrapped up in the issue. Go with either 4 or 5 if that's what they got. Get a gobbler to come in to 30yds and it won't matter what size pellets or what gauge just knocked him in the head.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

No reason I can think of, aside from the fact that sometimes the folks that do the ordering have no clue what they are doing.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on what kind of shell your after I guess here. heavy shot or weight shells seem sparce all over but I think its do to how long they last. Most stores buy out of them fast when they get them and turkey hunters all know so when they find them they buy a number of boxes of them at one time. The only two companies that seem to be out there are Hevi shot and Federal.

Winchester does not make a 20 gauge load with #6. As Joe says #5 will work as well, the only difference is your not going to get that shot count that 6 will give, but they are better then nil right
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare View Post
Depending on what kind of shell your after I guess here. heavy shot or weight shells seem sparce all over but I think its do to how long they last. Most stores buy out of them fast when they get them and turkey hunters all know so when they find them they buy a number of boxes of them at one time. The only two companies that seem to be out there are Hevi shot and Federal.

Winchester does not make a 20 gauge load with #6. As Joe says #5 will work as well, the only difference is your not going to get that shot count that 6 will give, but they are better then nil right
Look under the Winch. Super XX Premium 3". I found a 25rnd box a few years ago and still 3/4 of a box, makes a great 3rd shot on crows. Found them in Wally World. Talk to gun shop and see if they can order you a box if they still make them.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance View Post
Look under the Winch. Super XX Premium 3". I found a 25rnd box a few years ago and still 3/4 of a box, makes a great 3rd shot on crows. Found them in Wally World. Talk to gun shop and see if they can order you a box if they still make them.
I ment in their heavy weight version shells....
Old 03-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare View Post
I ment in their heavy weight version shells....
That does make a difference. Tru dat den!!!!!!!!!!