HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Safe to shoot gun or bow while pregnant? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/359269-safe-shoot-gun-bow-while-pregnant.html)

Kountrykristi 02-27-2012 06:50 AM

Safe to shoot gun or bow while pregnant?

I'm only in my 1st trimester, but concerned that I shouldn't hunt this weekend. I'm quite small framed also. It's opening season for turkey here (my favorite!)
Is it safe for me to shoot a shotgun? Is it safe for me to shoot my bow?

Simp 02-27-2012 08:48 AM

Well, I'm no doctor, don't play one on TV and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either, but I can't see where it would hurt, but I would call your doctor just to be sure! And good luck!

Terasec 02-27-2012 08:56 AM

I didn't stay at a holiday inn express either,
While I don't see the harm in it, why chance it?
First trimester is most dangerous time.
And even though shooting might be perfectly safe, lots of mishaps can happen afield.

Bible_Man 02-27-2012 01:27 PM

I'd ask your doctor. I would suspect it would be perfectly fine, but check for sure.

swampbuster 02-27-2012 05:57 PM

I would not take the chance if it were my wife. Im not sure if the loud noise would be a big deal since you are in your first trimester, but the exposer to lead might be. I just wouldnt want to take a chance on anything going wrong. I would check with your doctor.

SecondChance 02-28-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 3916003)
I would not take the chance if it were my wife. Im not sure if the loud noise would be a big deal since you are in your first trimester, but the exposer to lead might be. I just wouldnt want to take a chance on anything going wrong. I would check with your doctor.

I have never heard of a gun shy child. The lead issue is null and void for what about all. if any, she was exposed to in her experiences prior to this is not of an issue unless she worked in a smelting plant. Handling shotshells in a recreational manner is such a miniscule chance of lead exposer its not even worth mentioning.
I have cast lead bullets, decoy weights and fishing sinkers for over 35 years. Not too mention all the game taken with lead shot in longer than that. I decided to have my doctor have a lead test ordered while I was getting my physical done for work just for S&G's.
It was so small detection levels that he said it was just like any other person on the street during regular lifes travels levels. And that includes my 30+ years trap shooting, sometimes over 500rnds a week for registered trap, and all my years shooting and loading for pistol competition.

So I as well am not a Dr. nor stayed at a Holiday Inn, but feel consultation with her OB/GYN would be advisable due to the possibilities of falling or overdue stress due to the walking and bending etc.. would be of a possible concern. My .02 cents.

WOODCHUCKER 03-13-2012 07:55 PM

Why not? As long as you don't rest that shotgun on your big belly.? It should be ok.? Good luck hunting.? & Be Safe.?

Bible_Man 03-15-2012 10:20 AM

My wife is pregnant, and I asked this question at her last appointment...doctor said there would be nothing to worry about at all. He said you may hurt yourself, but it wouldn't be a problem at all as far as the pregnancy is concerned.

Kountrykristi 03-20-2012 08:06 AM

Thanks everyone! I decided not to hunt to be safe, but it's really killing me to watch my husband go when I can't! lol

I've read a lot of conflicting views on this matter. Agree the lead poisoning thing isn't an issue, but would hate to have problems from recoil or noise. Maybe if I were further along.

Next year, baby's coming with! ha