Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Early Breading Season Possible? >

Early Breading Season Possible?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Early Breading Season Possible?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Early Breading Season Possible?

Here in Indiana we have had unusually warm weather this winter, will it move the Turkeys breeding time to and earlier date if it continues to be above average till spring? Last year I saw them strutting two weeks before our youth season which is the middle of April. And when June came around they were still at it though not hot and heavy. What do you guys and gals think?

Last edited by doetrain; 02-20-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you have to worry about that too much. They will breed pretty much the same time each year, just like deer, warm or cold. It's been warm down here this Winter, but the birds haven't even started gobbling yet. I saw four longbeards this morning and hens aren't even on their minds yet, but it won't be long. I figure they will start gobbling down here in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Length of daylight seems to be the key down here in Florida. I would guess it is the same in your area.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was worried last year when they seemed to get started early and it was no where near as warm last winter,thanks for pointing out some of the things that set them off. It should be a good year here in my area based on all the nice birds I saw at the end of the year,the bugs will be a plentyful food source with such a mild winter.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

We've had seasons when the breeding was over before hunting went out! Last year it got in the 80's in Feb. and opening week I shot birds that left hens to come to me...no decoys! Gobbling had about stopped after that. I know that sounds crazy, and I'm not saying you can't still kill one, but they can start early. It happens here every so often, our birds are gobbling now and we've got about a month till season starts, going to be 70's rest of this week!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default early strutters

saw toms strutting 4 weeks ago. don't know if will throw the season off or not. the flocks haven't busted up yet so I'm not sure. although it has been warm here also
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I has been a mild Winter, but i really don't think it will throw them off that much. Of course, I'm in the deep south, so it may be a little different up north. Our Winters are usually mild anyway, so the breeding period is pretty much the same each year.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Spike

length of days determines the breeding cycle. so even if the birds are in a good mood because it feels springy it doesnt mean they are breeding. wait for the turkeys to move in to their spring grounds (located around good brood habitat and breeding grounds) and then it will commence
Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have found up here at least that the turkeys do in fact breed early at times.. Last year was a pretty good season for us. The year before the hens were already on the nests. By the time our second week opened up hens were showing up with young poults with them. So yes they will breed early at times and I too am afraid it is going to be one of those years.. Only the weather man can help us right now. Our weather is currently like March right now And if our March is like April they will have bred again. A wet April will help us as well regardless of temps as it will cause them to have another clutch. Some of which happened last year..Some of the hens had large poults with them while others had none until after our season ended..
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's good to here from different areas and to get reports about what your seeing,thanks for the input on this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.