Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Does your tom decoy have to strut?? >

Does your tom decoy have to strut??

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does your tom decoy have to strut??

Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Spike

Question Does your tom decoy have to strut??

I have seen some Jake decoys that dont strut and was wondering if you have the same chance of attracting that big tom if your decoy is not in full strut? Will he still come in and pounce on him if hes not strutting? Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have gotten rid of the full strut and haven't had any problems with just using jakes. I know some people like the full strut decoys and won't use anything else.

Last edited by wernerjd; 02-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you need to have the decoy strutting. Big old toms don't let jakes near "their" hens. I've had them come in and threaten the jake just because it was in the area. In fact, I've had them come in to threaten a hen decoy that I repainted up to look like a jake. It's just one more thing to sell to turkey hunters. We're suckers for gadgets.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default just hens

haven't had much luck with jake and tom decoys, i just use hens, if the tom isn't a dominant bird they are less likely to come in.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

I just use hen decoys
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Spike

I have great luck with placing the jake decoy right behind the hen and it drives the Ol Tom's crazy!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

I have good luck with a hen and strutting jake. To your question though, I don't think it matters to them that much. Just seeing turkeys where he's hearing calling gets him to commit I think. I only put them out when I'm in a big field or cutover, to keep them from hanging up to far out.......most of the time! Lol!!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 AM
Spike

I use a fullstrut decoy and hen in the breeding position placed in front. Mostly on field birds. And if I know which way the birds are coming from I face the decoyl in the opposite direction. Especially with a bow. Several of the birds we have taken,were coming in for a sucker punch. They seem to approach a deke when they can't see its head, a little faster. And I like using a decoy late in the season. After those henned up field toms lose their girlfriends. And some areas vary from season to season. I have had longbeards walk away or stay away from decoys. And some longspurred ones too. Good luck this spring.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

I don't use decoys much but I did have a tom and jake come into my set up and the jake beat up my jake decoy. I had just a simple jake with no fan.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never used a full strut Tom, but USPS should be delivering one to me today. I want to give it a shot this season to see what happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.