Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best turkey decoys

Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Spike

Default Best turkey decoys

Your thoughts? I think for the hens I might go with the Cherokee 007 they are new at cabelas and look sharp. But toms I am up for suggestions. B mobile. Killer b. pretty boy?? Dsd? Which ones thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Feather Flex hen.Super light,moves with a light breeze.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

I also have a feather flex hen, and use a jake-mobile. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money though, all those fancy decoys look GOOD!.......but don't think the turkeys like them any better. Ive looked at the Cherokee's and think you'll have a good un. Good luck, hunt safe!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any inflatable for me...may not look as good to me as some of the more expensive ones, but transporting them is enormously easier, and the turkeys come to them in my experience.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty Boy & Pretty Girl if you don't have a ton of money.

I customized my pretty boy with real fan tail and real fanned wings.

Works like a charm................if your only hunting for LONG beards.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Dave Smith feeding hen and jake. DSD because the paint on the cheap decoys suck. After buying cheap decoys four times you could of bought a DSD and been done with it. DSD are made in the US also. I got rid of the B Mobile because I had to many toms shy away. The jake that DSD puts out is awesome. For three years now I have had long beards come in and took out my jake. When using other decoys in a flock situation the toms will go to the DSDeverytime. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Pretty Boy & Pretty Girl if you don't have a ton of money.

I customized my pretty boy with real fan tail and real fanned wings.

Works like a charm................if your only hunting for LONG beards.
I use a pretty boy as well with a real fan tail, but how do you attach the real fanned wings? The pretty boy works alright for me. When it doesn't I will set up a jake which will sometimes do the trick. I also will set up a couple of hens to go with them..
Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave Smith feeding hen and jake.
Those do look the best. Not cheap though.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Looked at the DSD's yesterday in Bass Pro, they are pricey but look awesome. I've been using the jake mobile with great success. Had toms shy away from B-Mobile so I sold it.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Phil,

Cut a "Slice" right into the body at the top line of the wings.

Just "slice" it a little longer than the size you need to fit it in.

Push on the body to open that "slice" and slide a preserved fanned wing into it.

I made a cardboard "sleeve" to store the fan tail & the two fanned wings, which I put in the carry bag (cardboard goes against my back).

This breeding set-up with the submissive hen will chase jakes away, but will bring in dominate toms.

I've shot most at 15 yards .......... more often have to yelp 3 times to bring them out of strut !

BTW - if I bring any extra decoys, I set those up away from the breeding pair; generally in heavier cover.

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-20-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.