HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Bought an H&R Pardner Pump 20 Gauge (Camo). Any suggestions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/358522-bought-h-r-pardner-pump-20-gauge-camo-any-suggestions.html)

bnzartman 02-13-2012 12:59 PM

Bought an H&R Pardner Pump 20 Gauge (Camo). Any suggestions?

Just bought a new H&R Pardner Pump 20 Gauge in camo. Now I have to decide on a choke (under $30) and ammo that will work well together.

Comes with screw in modified choke, so I would imagine I should upgrade for turkey hunting?

I've posted a thread about reasonable price chokes earlier, but would like tom hear more opinions about chokes and ammo I should consider.

Thanks for the help guys.

Brandon

swampbuster 02-13-2012 03:01 PM

I would try a jellyhead choke and experiment with different turkey loads

UncleNorby 02-14-2012 03:35 AM

I do fine with a standard full choke. I don't shoot more than 35 yds though. It wouldn't hurt to have a standard full, and you could get a "turkey" choke as well if it didn't pattern as tight as you want. One thing to remember with really tight chokes, it's easier to miss close birds.

Bible_Man 02-15-2012 08:51 AM

I understand that you don't have much money to spend on "top-flight" equipment. But, spending just a little over $30 to get a jellyhead choke is a good idea, if it is possible. for $10-15 more than you aim to spend you can get a choke that is not only very good, but in my humble opinion vastly better than any $30 choke out there. The jellyheads seem to pattern pretty well with just about any load. Not sure how easily you could find one for a pardner pump, but if you can find one I'd think long and hard about it.

bnzartman 02-15-2012 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bible_Man (Post 3912139)
I understand that you don't have much money to spend on "top-flight" equipment. But, spending just a little over $30 to get a jellyhead choke is a good idea, if it is possible. for $10-15 more than you aim to spend you can get a choke that is not only very good, but in my humble opinion vastly better than any $30 choke out there. The jellyheads seem to pattern pretty well with just about any load. Not sure how easily you could find one for a pardner pump, but if you can find one I'd think long and hard about it.

I appreciate the advice, but they don't make one for a 20 gauge with the Winchoke.

WVDanimal 02-16-2012 08:48 AM

Here's a neat idea to test several loads in your gun and choke to see which one patterns best. I just bought and Indian Creek Choke for a 12 ga. and wanted to find the load it liked best. I started inquiring from my friends, co workers and relatives as to which ammo they were using. Of course they all aren't the same so I had them give me a round or 2 of every different combination I could find someone using. I swapped them 2 of what I use for 2 of what they use etc. In no time at all, I have 11 different makes/loads of 3" mags to test in this new choke and I only purchased 3 brands of ammo myself. Now I just have to get a bottle of aspirin for the day after all that recoil!!

bnzartman 02-17-2012 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by WVDanimal (Post 3912493)
Here's a neat idea to test several loads in your gun and choke to see which one patterns best. I just bought and Indian Creek Choke for a 12 ga. and wanted to find the load it liked best. I started inquiring from my friends, co workers and relatives as to which ammo they were using. Of course they all aren't the same so I had them give me a round or 2 of every different combination I could find someone using. I swapped them 2 of what I use for 2 of what they use etc. In no time at all, I have 11 different makes/loads of 3" mags to test in this new choke and I only purchased 3 brands of ammo myself. Now I just have to get a bottle of aspirin for the day after all that recoil!!

That is a good idea, but there are not many turkey hunters in my area....especially friends or family.

steve25 02-17-2012 05:52 PM

I purchased an 20ga Pardner Pump all black for my daugther. It shot really good patterns with the jellyheads with 3" Heavy Shot magnum blend , good enough I didn't try anything else!

But the guns my carry the same name but to say the Jellyhead would work the best for you would be wrong. Each gun and ammo combo can be different.

I know it sounds kind of strange to buy a cheap gun and spend so much on the ammo and choke tube but to be honest I had no idea if she would turkey hunt any after her first time last year but we are going again this year and if she didn't I would have a 20ga to play around with.

You don't have to spend big money on a gun I have an 870 3" I bought more than 10 years ago and it patterned better than my brothers NWTF Browning Gold edition. We never could get than gun to pattern no where near as good as mine no matter what we tried!!!!

I don't think you should skimp on the ammo or choke tube find what works. Heavy Shot may be exspensive around $5-6 a shot but I have gotten my best patterns out of my 870, my sons Mossberg 500 and my daughters 20ga with that ammo. I have a Jellyhead on my 870 and the Pardener but Mossberg is a different and cheaper choke but it worked great!!!

No I have not let her shoot those 3" shells I am doing her like I done my middle son we go out and shoot the lightest target loads I can find and I told both of them the samething that it will be no difference in kick. My oldest son at 10 years old I think he would have shot a canon if he could have found one and been able to shoulder it, he was never afraid of recoil from a gun.

First year turkey hunting for my middle son he harvested a 3 bearded jake, and said he didn't feel the kick on those 12ga 3" magnum loads.