Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
870 upgrade for turkey gun? >

870 upgrade for turkey gun?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

870 upgrade for turkey gun?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Spike

Question 870 upgrade for turkey gun?

Want voice of experience for enhancing my 870's pattern, have a factory rem super full turkey choke, what would be a better one to purchase/use. Do not want to purchase a new/different gun this one has been with me for a long time and has served me well...
Have "Betty Lou" outfitted with Blackhawk SpecOps GenerationII 7 position stock, Tru-Glow Gobblestopper on top, and I camo painted the entire gun...just wondering what yall could recommend for a better aftermarket choke that you have found for this gun that produces a tighter pattern....Thanks for any input provided.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if it's pattern your after than try a jellyhead ,Indian Creek, choke and some Hevi shot in the #7 size... Should get great pattern with that...

You also might want to shot it a 10 inch circles also... From what I've read that is VERY important!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was using my old 870 for turkeys, a jellyhead choke with Remington Wingmaster HD 3.5" #6's gave me me my best patterns...devastating patterns at that.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Spike

I tried a lot of choke tubes in my 870 and my 11-87. Nothing seemed to help much until I recently tried a Jeb's Headhunter (.655 restriction). It improved the pattern with my 870 by over 50% at 35 yards. I highly recommend it. It's expensive ($110) but I refuse to pay $4 a pop for heavier than lead shot and the improved pattern using the Jeb's tube was with lead shot.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default cheekpiece

for your blackhawk stock i would suggest a cheekpiece, i've got the powerpack for my knoxx stock and it makes a difference.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
j76
Typical Buck

My 870 just has a remington extra full turke choke, paired with win supreme 3" # 6's its hard to beat!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Spike

Smile

Thanks folks for your input, will take a couple of the suggestions and put em to use. Thanks again for saving me money and time.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
When I was using my old 870 for turkeys, a jellyhead choke with Remington Wingmaster HD 3.5" #6's gave me me my best patterns...devastating patterns at that.
I currently shoot a Remington 870 20 gauge w/ a Primos JellyHead Choke. I just shot it with the new choke today and the patterns were great! I used Remington Nitro Turkey shells 3" #5shot. These are the only rounds I have shot since the JellyHead because Bass Pro in my college town blows.

Went coyote hunting this morning at my buddies farm and saw two birds, a decent gobbler and a jake or hen (couldn't tell). But man were they talking. I can't wait for this spring.

and you said you painted your gun? what kind of paint did you use? I have been looking into duracoat but I would rather save money if possible. I am very familiar with refinishing, reblueing, and good spray painter.

Last edited by mw_Guerilla; 02-05-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by mw_Guerilla
I currently shoot a Remington 870 20 gauge w/ a Primos JellyHead Choke. I just shot it with the new choke today and the patterns were great! I used Remington Nitro Turkey shells 3" #5shot. These are the only rounds I have shot since the JellyHead because Bass Pro in my college town blows.

Went coyote hunting this morning at my buddies farm and saw two birds, a decent gobbler and a jake or hen (couldn't tell). But man were they talking. I can't wait for this spring.

and you said you painted your gun? what kind of paint did you use? I have been looking into duracoat but I would rather save money if possible. I am very familiar with refinishing, reblueing, and good spray painter.
Thanks for the info and I use Krylon flat paints, make my own stencils, and after camo pattern is dry use Krylon matte clear for finish coat, simple, cheap, and lasts for multiple seasons just be careful not to get solvents on painted parts or bug spray doesnt do the finished product a bit of good, have painted stocks only for some weapons am ready to try some dipping next and field test em to see how durable they are. Good luck with camo and your hunts!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Do you like the stock? I'm thinking about turning my old 870 into a dedicated turkey gun. I have thought about putting the tactical stock and a Burris Speed Bead on. When I did use it I had a Jellyhead that shot best, but I was using the high dollar shells.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.