Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Is the Primos Pot call Conditioner worth the dollars over go ol' sandpaper >

Is the Primos Pot call Conditioner worth the dollars over go ol' sandpaper

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is the Primos Pot call Conditioner worth the dollars over go ol' sandpaper

Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is the Primos Pot call Conditioner worth the dollars over go ol' sandpaper

I have seen a few pot call conditioners and have never bought one I was looking at the Primos 5 in 1 pot call conditioner and wondering how well it works and is it really any better than just a regular scuff pad or sand paper?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know if it's any better, but it's more convenient to carry and use in the field.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

lol. I don't know how a clumsy stick thing is more convenient than a little slip of sandpaper. Also just go to the dollar store and for $1 get one of those sharpening stones and you have a conditioner for your glass pot calls.

Scrap piece of sandpaper and sharpening stone- Total Cost $1

Primos Stick - Total Cost $10 (I think)

Bloody gimmick to soak money out of foolish turkey hunters IMO.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OntElk
lol. I don't know how a clumsy stick thing is more convenient than a little slip of sandpaper. Also just go to the dollar store and for $1 get one of those sharpening stones and you have a conditioner for your glass pot calls.

Scrap piece of sandpaper and sharpening stone- Total Cost $1

Primos Stick - Total Cost $10 (I think)

Bloody gimmick to soak money out of foolish turkey hunters IMO.
Yep, what Ont Elk said I don't use the sandpaper or scotchguard on pot calls.I only use a stone.You can't get em roughed up enough.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have a piece of Emery Cloth - far better than sandpaper tucked in my double Pot call Pouch on my vest....it has to be at least 10 yrs old...Emery cloth stands up to moisture far better than sand paper. Also condition the pot call (sand or stone) in one direction only!

For Pot call care we have a FAQ section written by a longtim HNI contributor.

Link
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/specific-turkey-tips-tactics/244283-guide-pot-calls.html

I also stitched a piece of green Scotchbrite, to my vest, in a convenient spot, as I use this to touch up the tip of any striker quickly. It helps me if the striker starts to go sour or got damp asI just rub or scour it on the pad quick like.....

Lastly I carry a Bic Lighter to flame the surface of the pot such as slate to help dry it quickly. Or even flame a wooden striker.....

JW

Last edited by JW; 02-02-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I also go with the sandpaper. I'm bad about just stuffing a call in my vest not really protected, so I alyaws have the paper against it when I move to keep my vest from slicking the surface. Like JW said, emery cloth will hold up to moisture a lot better!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own and carry the Primos conditioning tool but really don't use it much. In my opinion, a piece of Emory cloth is the way to go.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

I fail to see how a firm stick that you can grip easily with gloves and find in a pocket is clumsy, especially relative to a wadded up piece of sandpaper jammed in a pocket. (I did buy mine post season at a good discount, and I don't know if I'd pay full price either).

Last edited by Murdy; 02-04-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

What grit of Emery cloth do you use for different surfaces or can one grit do it all?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

I love mine. On glass you can really tune it up in seconds and it is easier to lay you hands on than a piece of sandpaper (that can get wet) or an emory cloth. Although both of those do work just fine as well.