Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

12 Gauge vs 20 Gauge

Old 02-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Great pics and work AJH!!!! What compound did you use to polish the barrel and did you lengthen the forcing cone on the 20 before polishing the barrel? I have several of my trap guns with lengthened forcing cones and it really made a difference in the patterns, especially at the longer distances I shoot in AA class.

The 20 has set multiple world turkey shoot championships. I know that it set the world record with 43 pellets in a 4" circle at 40 yds with factory Hevi-Shot turkey loads, before Hevi-13 came out and with a Wrights Superior Choke tube.
I only used wd-40 in the barrel, but now understand there is some much better cleaners on the market.

Yes I did have my forcing cone done as I shoot the cheap Benelli Nova it had a very short 3/4 in cone. It made a difference I believe...
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my point to this thread is this:

Yes, a 20 gauge obviously can be made to shoot, as proved by the previous pictures have shown. But, if you have a 12 gauge now, I wouldn't run out to buy a 20 gauge and put all the money in it to get it to shoot like a 12 gauge if you already have one. Really, what's the point? If your talking a lighter gun, they have light weight 12 gauge's out on the market now. I guess I don't get all the fuss over a 20 gauge when the 12 works fine?

P.S. I'm talking adults here, not youth guns.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

My daughter shoots a Mossberg 500 youth model that shoots patterns as good at 35 as my SBE II does. Jellyhead and Hevi-13's.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Well it's time to get in this 20 vs 12 ga. Probably 30+ years ago, I started turkey hunting with a single shot stevens in 20 ga, 26 inch barrel, plus full choke, no screw in tubes back then. I have no idea how many turkeys fell to that old gun and I still have it as a snake gun in my yard (lot of diamond backs, copper heads, and timber rattlers in my area). I started my son now 43 with that gun and he got his limit here in GA with it every year, which is 3 birds.

For years I wanted to go back to a single shot and bought one about 5 years ago that had a crossbolt saftey, no hammer. I had several modifications done to it and even put a scope on it, thanks to JW! It is in a 12 ga. and I believe JW! will back me up, it is a killing machine. Last season I took 3 birds with it, one at 62 steps and one at 64 steps, one at 10 steps. The last time JW! was here hunting with me I questioned/doubted I steped a yard, so we check my step/yardage and we found that at 50 steps I actually was only covering about 43 yards, JW! will have to correct this.

But back to the 20 ga. in 3 inch mag., it will a kill a bird that far with right shells. I'm, as JW!, geting older and now thinking about going back to a 20. Set up right, it will do the job.

My 2 cents and that's cause all I have (broke military retiree and loving it).

One other comment, I don't think JW! is coming down to hunt with me this year and is sad, what a great friend.

dog1
Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by maytom
I guess my point to this thread is this:

Yes, a 20 gauge obviously can be made to shoot, as proved by the previous pictures have shown. But, if you have a 12 gauge now, I wouldn't run out to buy a 20 gauge and put all the money in it to get it to shoot like a 12 gauge if you already have one. Really, what's the point? If your talking a lighter gun, they have light weight 12 gauge's out on the market now. I guess I don't get all the fuss over a 20 gauge when the 12 works fine?

P.S. I'm talking adults here, not youth guns.
Paul your so right. Yes a 20 can be built to shoot just like a 12 but it does cost. The chances of a new off the shelf gun to perform the same distances is a fat chance...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Spike

Second vote for a 20 gauge, haha. Do some realize this is not a ballistics thingy it's more pointed at youth handling?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

April 19, 2011 - 09:46hrs
47° F
Elev 2311ft
2 year old bird 1¼" Spurs
25lbs
1 7/8" Beard (Beard Rot Due to Mites)

Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga
Wrights® SWARM™ .555" choke
Winchester® Supreme® High Velocity 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4 Pb (STH2034)
Shot at 42yds
Bird was dead before his beak hit the dirt!
Who needs Hevi•Shot®, Federal® Heavyweight®, Remington® Wingmaster HD®, Winchester® Xtended Range® or TSS?

Pb will "Git-r-Done"!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dawei
April 19, 2011 - 09:46hrs
47° F
Elev 2311ft
2 year old bird 1¼" Spurs
25lbs
1 7/8" Beard (Beard Rot Due to Mites)

Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga
Wrights® SWARM™ .555" choke
Winchester® Supreme® High Velocity 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4 Pb (STH2034)
Shot at 42yds
Bird was dead before his beak hit the dirt!
Who needs Hevi•Shot®, Federal® Heavyweight®, Remington® Wingmaster HD®, Winchester® Xtended Range® or TSS?

Pb will "Git-r-Done"!

Another proud and successfull owner of Wrights Superior Chokes.