Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mossy 535 opinions ?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
65 yards huh???

Hear we go...
Yea 65 yards. Believe it or not, i don't care. But yes I can whack one at 65 yards with my mossberg 835
Old 02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you let em know what your setup is completely, TH. If memory serves me correctly, it is similar to mine...jellyhead .690, Hevi-shot magnum blend 3.5". My 835 is the thumbhole version with a 20" barrel. I haven't considered shooting a bird at 65 yds, as most of my hunting is done in the woods with max shots being around 50 yds, but I have patterned it out to 70 with pellet counts I'd be comfortable with shooting a bird with. That being said, I still plan to limit my shots to 50 yards +/-.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I am not a Mossberg fan also but understand why people buy them. It is cost.

But that being said - compared to what I shoot - Mossberg's just kicked harder as they are a light gun.
I also hate hollow plastic stocks.

JW
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Your right Bible man, I have a accu-mag series choke, its the ulti-full turkey with a .695 constriction, and I shoot 3 1/2 #5's in winchester supremes. It does kick but it does the job just fine. I also patterned it at 65-70 yards just to see what it would do. Had plenty of pellets in the kill zone, but it only takes 1 to do the job. The barrel is 24" long.

Last edited by turkey harvester; 02-02-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

I love my 835 almost as much as my wife.....lol.....but seriously its the best patterning shotgun I've ever owned for turkey hunting. I have two 870's just as Longbeard does but was never impressed with the pattern. I shoot hevi shot and use hevi shot choke tube and I polished my barrel myself and its just plain wicked. Its also smaller and much easier to haul around in the woods. The 870's I have are older versions and to me are like carrying javelins around while you hunt. As far as turkey hunting goes I advise you shoot with the 835 or 535 and use the 870 for a nice long walking stick.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now it's 70 yards lol...

Man you gotta love the internet!!!

Man you guys are right about 870's. Because at 70 yards id prob get no hits in the vitals at those yardages...
Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

I had never shot my 835 more than 50 yds even when practicing but after reading these posts I wanted to see just what it would do at a further distance. I shot it at 57yds and 65yds yesterday in the field at home. Surprisingly I had 13 pellets in the kill zone at 57yds and 9 at 65yds. I wouldn't dare act as if I know what kind of knock down power it's carrying at these distances but the pattern to kill is there. I wanted to know for myself and thats how it performed. I would have to say that a 65yd shot is not unrealistic from a performance stand point but maybe not ethical but I'll leave the ethical thoughts for another post on another day.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I LOVE my 535!!! (aside from the massive recoil)!
In 5 years I have missed ONE turkey (user error) and bagged probably 20!

I have also connected on several Kansas white tails with my slug barrel.

With a scoped slug barrel, and a turkey barrel I think I spent like $400

Do I think it is a "better" gun that others out there? ... nope!
All I know is I like to eat wild turkey and deer and Bambi and that old long beard don't know what the buck shot or slug came out of!

Here is a FUNNY video of my reaction after a double last spring.... I was hunting alone so no "action" video. It's worth a good laugh, my second shot was every bit of 60 yards, and my adrenaline was pumping like crazy...."I thought I was gonna puke"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maMdd...dbAUAAAAAAAHAA

Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like my 535. I got descent results with the factory choke, but I put in an Indian Creek. The Indian Creek choke and Hevi-13 make is a turkey killing machine that I'd feel comfortable with out to 50 yards. The other reason I like it is because for the cost, it is a nice gun. I hunt pretty hard & the sping weather can take a toll on a gun, it doesn't make sense for me to use a more expensive gun for spring turkeys when my Mossberg with the right choke and shell combo will kill a bird the same way as any other gun. Bottom line is, Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, Benelli, etc are all capable of dropping birds at longer ranges, the more important thing is a good choke and shot combination. Spend some time at the range and find that combination. Good Luck