HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What time of the day do you harvest or get spring turkeys to work the best (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/357577-what-time-day-do-you-harvest-get-spring-turkeys-work-best.html)

steve25 01-23-2012 09:12 AM

What time of the day do you harvest or get spring turkeys to work the best

What time of day have you harvest the most Spring Turkeys or get them to work calling the best?

If you could explain what you have noticed that makes your best time of day be so good for you and what tatics works best for you at that time.

turkey harvester 01-23-2012 09:41 AM

I kill most of mine off the roost. But i am a very aggressive hunter. I'm either going to make it happen or its not. Sitting and waiting isn't for me. If I don't kill, then I will get aggressive after the lull period is done and the gobblers are still looking for hens. After 10 am if you can get one to gobble, good chance he is killable. I take his temp and see how he wants me to call, then I plan from there.

Sheridan 01-23-2012 12:54 PM

As soon as they fly down off their roost.

We are not allow to hunt turkeys after 4pm in CA.

Otherwise, once you locate their roost tree; you could just wait there and shoot them before they fly up.

salukipv1 01-23-2012 01:34 PM

As soon as I take my nap ;) they come cruising by...

8-12, and many times 10-12, although usually I'm working them from sun up on... but the shot opportunities usually don't occur til after 10, even if I'm close to a roost.

steve25 01-23-2012 02:41 PM

I have done the best from daylight to 8am but I have never really given hunting later in the day much of a chance and I think I am missing out on some good turkey hunting.

My problem is that once the lul starts I find myself ready to go home because it is an 1.5 drive home.

In Missouri we can hunt until 1pm so if I leave between 8 or 9 there is still alot of hunting time left.

steve25 01-24-2012 03:37 PM

Let's keep this thing going!!!!

I no there are more than 14 turkey hunters here!!!!!

EFH 01-24-2012 05:36 PM

If you can hunt till 1, stay after em! Ive taken my fair share of birds at daylight off the roost, but some of the best hunting is around noon. As long as I know I'm on a piece of land that has birds, a lull in gobbling dose not bother me. Lots of times if you had one answering you and he had hens at daybreak he'll be looking for you when they go to nest. Morning is the best time to hunt and locate the boys, but like mentioned before, if you get on him later in the day there's a better chance he'll be alone and they will respond to calls well. Anytime you can hunt is the best time, so don't miss out on a afternoon limbhanger!

SouthernStrut56 01-24-2012 08:48 PM

First post in a long while, good to be back on and looking forward to this year's turkey contest.

This one is tough to pinpoint an exact timeframe. I'd say I kill about 30% of mine off the roost and the other 70% anywhere from 9AM to 12PM. I'd rather slide in around 9 oclock after the big daddies have had their fun, and get settled to try and call em in for round 2. BUT, there's nothing like calling back and forth to a hot tom on the limb, then having him pitch down and come in on a string within 10 minutes of fly down. I take em any way I can get em! When it comes down to it, I have more luck during mid-morning hours.

Adrian J Hare 01-25-2012 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56 (Post 3904784)
First post in a long while, good to be back on and looking forward to this year's turkey contest.

This one is tough to pinpoint an exact timeframe. I'd say I kill about 30% of mine off the roost and the other 70% anywhere from 9AM to 12PM. I'd rather slide in around 9 oclock after the big daddies have had their fun, and get settled to try and call em in for round 2. BUT, there's nothing like calling back and forth to a hot tom on the limb, then having him pitch down and come in on a string within 10 minutes of fly down. I take em any way I can get em! When it comes down to it, I have more luck during mid-morning hours.

Who the hell invited you back :biggrin: Just kiddin ya welcome back

I have to agree so much with your view, as its hard to put a time on when the best time is. I have killed birds all hours of the day but really find that from 1:00pm - 3:30 pm is the lawl time as most birds find it way to hot to travel or move around.

When I used to guide in Florida I found that the 1-3 time range most birds would sit tight under cabage palms and wait for the sun to drop before moving for nighttime feed.

Being able to hunt all day there and here in Ontario I found that most or the highest rate of kills would be in that 5:00pm - 6:30 range.

I still took a percentage of birds off the roast and as well after that 8:00am - 11:00am range too...

Uncle Nicky 01-25-2012 06:10 AM

Don't let anyone fool you, you can kill a gobbler any time of day, but I've noticed a definite lull between about 8AM & 10:30 AM, probably because they've hooked up with hens.

Tactics? Here in PA, anything beside calling is considered illegal. In states where it's legal, I'll stalk them, ambush them, belly crawl...whatever it takes. I'm not proud.:happy0157: