Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Mouth Call how far back and where do you put your tongue on a mouth call??? >

Mouth Call how far back and where do you put your tongue on a mouth call???

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth Call how far back and where do you put your tongue on a mouth call???

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mouth Call how far back and where do you put your tongue on a mouth call???

I have been getting some decent sounds as far yelps but I have two questions........

Where do you place your tongue on the mouth call? Do you put it on the read(s) or just behind?

How far is far enough back in the mouth?

I am also having the most touble getting the rasp sound at the end and I figure it is call or tongue placement.

I sound fair at yelping but have trouble getting that aha... moment.

Using single and double reed calls

Last edited by steve25; 01-20-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are killing me

Where's that Dennis Wagner ? lol

Ok here is a diagram I drew, No its not from an artist but you should get the picture.

The back of the frame should be about 1/8 to 1/4 away from the back of your Pallette. If you take your tongue and run it along the pallette and when you come to the spot where the bone stops and the fleshy tissue starts for your throat, the frame should be (Almost) touching this area. This is why most get a GAG reflec's if you do not trim the tape, because it goes down your throat. TRIM THE TAPE ! lol

The Rasp on the end of the call is more the call your using. If you cange the call and use a raspy call your going to get a different pitch. The lower note will then change and this is what your listening for. It all comes with practice and hours of it too...

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 01-21-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

That for the info!!!!

I have no problems with the gag reflex at all.

I am getting better and hope have it down pretty good by the time turkey season gets here.

I a pretty good with slate calls but they are risky to use when the Turkey is in sight and out of range. I just would like to be able to sound decent enough to use a mouth call in close quarters of a gobbler where a slate could get me busted.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I place my calls in the roof of my mouth (obviously) but I try not to manipulate my tongue very much. Meaning, I let my tongue lay where it would ordinarily. Obtaining the rasp is attained by running the call while ever-so-slightly "squeezing" the call up against the roof of my mouth with the back part of the tongue. This works for me but may not for you, but keep practicing and you'll have an "Ahaa!" moment.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Steve the diagram is good! I just let if fit. There are larger frames and smaller. If you find a call doesn't fit well you can trim the tape. Primo makes a small frame call that is great for a store call. Placing the call is like trying to hide gum from the teacher in the roof of the mouth. Put it in place and the tounge helps hold it there.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Spike

Thank you so much for this information. I've been trying and trying to use a reed call but never got a sound out of it. I tried your technique and finally got a noise!

Man, this can really tickle a tongue!

Jerry

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
You guys are killing me

Where's that Dennis Wagner ? lol

Ok here is a diagram I drew, No its not from an artist but you should get the picture.

The back of the frame should be about 1/8 to 1/4 away from the back of your Pallette. If you take your tongue and run it along the pallette and when you come to the spot where the bone stops and the fleshy tissue starts for your throat, the frame should be (Almost) touching this area. This is why most get a GAG reflec's if you do not trim the tape, because it goes down your throat. TRIM THE TAPE ! lol

The Rasp on the end of the call is more the call your using. If you cange the call and use a raspy call your going to get a different pitch. The lower note will then change and this is what your listening for. It all comes with practice and hours of it too...
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Spike

Lol...that diagram is awesome. I've always used a slate call and have always wanted to learn how to use a mouth call. Thanks.