HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Hevi shot reviews (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/357153-hevi-shot-reviews.html)

Mr. Longbeard 01-14-2012 03:59 AM

Hevi shot reviews

I've always had my doubts about hevi shot... I've only shot 2 turkeys with the stuff... One was about 50 yards away with Hevi13 #6's and i hit bird and watched him fly away... Looked for hours with no luck... I then bought a box of the HV13 #5's and shot a jake at about same distance... Hit bird and and knocked him down but had to finish him... Bird gave me a fit finishing him off...

I've done a lot of patterning with this stuff and it just doesent seem like it has the penetration like everybody claims...

I took some time this week end to just do some reading and did a few searchs on hevi shot reviews... And 99% of the reviews are about how great it patterns...

I hardly see any reviews on how well its destroyed gobblers at 40-50 plus yards...

And if I did see a negative review it was about how it didnt performe out at 45-50 yards...

I know this stuff patterns awsome compaired to anything else I've patterned... But I'm not worried about patterns... I want the stuff in my pattern to kill the dag gone bird...

So I guess what im getting at... Were is the kill reviews thats what I want to read!!! And not the ones at 20 and 30 yards...

Gamblinman 01-14-2012 09:07 AM

With todays tight chokes and great patterns from heavier than lead shot, it is so important to make triple sure your Point of Aim, and your Point of Impact are dead on at 40 to 50 yds. A small variance at 20 yds turns out to be much larger at 50 yds. Also, energy level is another big factor in penetration and knockdown power.
I have shot an SP-10, using Nitro Heavier than lead loads for the last 6 years..over 50 birds..some out to 50 yds..only one needed a follow up shot.
My day is coming..I will aim bad, or misjudge the distance, but I've done everything I can to eliminate the mechanical factor..it's up to the human factor to do the rest.

Gman

rlpsystems 01-14-2012 03:14 PM

50 yards and #6?......... in my book not a good idea... I like to shoot no further than 40 yards with #5's......can never really believe the hype on hunting gear. if so, I'd own alot more.......

car 01-15-2012 04:10 AM

The distance you're shooting is what I would consider max. I have however shot 55 yard with #5 and took a turkey, open field shot. I too had to step on the bird to finish him off. Last year I did I shoot close to the same distance and took another bird. That 1 shot didn't total kill that bird also. All shots 40yrds and closer, 1 shot dead bird. So I guess what I'm saying is, yes I'm happy with Hevi Shot #5.

One time I had a tom come in from behind me while I was aiming in the wrong direction. I had to hold my gun sideways and aim off to the side of the head at 8 feet. Killed the bird with 3 pellets in his head. Only shot I had and the bird had busted me.

The last few years I've been trying to fill 1 tag with my bow and 1 with my gun. So to me its been more of a challenge taking that first bird of the season with a bow vs the 12ga 3 1/2 #5 on the second bird.

Happy hunting. :)

Mr. Longbeard 01-16-2012 08:01 AM

Good luck with that bow thing lol... I doubt i'll ever try and chase public land gobblers with a bow!!! It's hard enough with a gun...

Adrian J Hare 01-16-2012 02:06 PM

LB, I have done it a number of times with the 20 gauge at 50 yards and have done it on camera too. I don't promote that shot only tried it when testing the patterns and what range a 20 would be a true killer but what birds that were hit were not running they were down. They were down and I had to walk up and stand on their head and a couple were toast. Why well I can not tell you theat but have seen the same with other brands as well.

Just remember don't matter what gun your shooting the pattern will never be the same every shot...

JoeA 01-17-2012 02:02 PM

Hevi-shot and Hevi-13 are two different loads. 2 years ago, I busted a tom at 46yds with Hevi-shot #6, he went down, but he flopped some.

Distance is the biggest consideration for shot size. Try going up to #4 shot and see what happens, but don't push it to stoopid distances. I'd try to limit my shots to 50 yds. If you want to test penetration at great distances (55+), do it on a target and not a turkey.

Adrian J Hare 01-18-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3902176)
never used heavy shot, found a combination that works very well in not 1 but 2 turkey guns. don't know how y'all's guns shoot with #6's and I'm not gonna tell ya the distances that I've killed gobblers, but my 50 yard percentage is 100%. as far as gobblers flopping some when shot in the head/neck with fine shot, how many have'nt flopped? every one I ever shot with a shotgun flopped alot except 2, they were shot at 7 and 12 yards and absorbed alot of energy from the whole load, even found the wads in them.
RR

100% right !

Bible_Man 01-18-2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3902176)
never used heavy shot, found a combination that works very well in not 1 but 2 turkey guns.
RR

What combo you working with, RR? I always had my best patterns and performance with Remington Wingmaster HD #6's and a jellyhead choke out of my old 870. This past season I went to a Mossberg 835 Ultimag with a 20" barrel...got tired of hanging every limb in the woods. My jellyhead choke for it patterns better than the factory one, but it isn't quite as good as the 870 was. I have tried the Wingmaster HD's, the Winchester Extended Range jokers, Remington Nitro, Hevi #7, Hevi #6 and Hevi #5/6/7 blend. Some, but little difference in ANY of them, other than the Winchester ER...they didn't perform as well as I had expected. They were the second best patterning load in my 870 (barely better than Hevi #6).

Wow...this got a bit long. I plan to do some extensive patterning tests in the coming weeks, so if you have something that works for you, let me know please...I know that doesn't mean it would work for me, but ain't gonna hurt anything to try it out!

OntElk 01-18-2012 10:49 AM

Hevi-13 3 inch number 6 in 1 1 7/8 oz load.

Bird in open feild.
Walking by us and topography made it look closer than it was.
Board member Adrian Hare asks me if I can kill it while filming for DVD.
I respond "yup" (thinking it is about 45 yds)
Bird drops like a stone.
Shot paced off at 61 paces!

If you had of told me it was 60 yds I would not of shot. I guess you can criticze me for that but you can't criticize the load IMO.

(oh and this bird lived in Simcoe County Forest eh Adrian? that would make it a public land gobbler lol! Even tougher to drop!)