Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey newbie dropping in >

Turkey newbie dropping in

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey newbie dropping in

Old 12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey newbie dropping in

After what I have seen this deer season I have gobbler fever. Think I found something to do once spring gets here since we dont get a fall season. I think my deer blind will do nicely for turkeys as well seeing how my trial cam has taken over 400 pics of them in the last week eating all my damn deer corn.

Also seeing how I know nothing about turkey hunting whats considered a shooter? Just gonna post a few pics of some of the smaller ones I have seen this deer season.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and your new addiction. Im the Arrowmaster aka (Turkey Wizard) Im addicted as well. Enough of my BS though hahaha Seriously everyone of those toms are shooters. Read our forums and archives and you will gain tons of knowledge about turkey hunting. We have a bunch of very skilled and experienced turkey hunters here. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have learned tons here.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Is it normal for turkeys to have multiple beards? In the 1st pic the one closest to the cam looks like he has 3 or 4 of them on another pic from a different angle as he walked by (Cam takes 3 pics each second once triggered)
Old 12-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the turkey forum thomas!!! Great pics - got my blood boiling - can't wait for spring to get here!!!!! You'll have to join our spring turkey contest - it's just for fun & it's a blast!

Kim
Old 12-24-2011, 05:30 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I agree with ridge runner! If he's got a good brush hangin he's a shooter. Some of us will try to take a dominant bird if more than one comes in but that doesn't always mean he's scoring better! It's always fun running up and rubbing your eyes on those spurs after you bust one, it's like opening a present, it's not always what you were thinking but your never disappointed. I like killing those fired up 2 year old too!!! To me, unlike deer hunting, any mature bird I take is worth bragging about, the spurs and beard length is just a nice bonus! Looks like your going to have some birds flopping around that blind come spring! Good luck and hunt safe!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for sharing the nice pics. A gobbler with 6 inch or more is a good gobbler to take but the longer the better the trophy 1 inch and a little longer are jakes also good, it all depends on what you want. I would check your pattern shooting out of the deer stand if thats your preference. I dont shoot anything less than 8 inches but thats just me, I do want to shoot a jake one day.

I hope they are still there in the spring!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Your done!!!!!!!
lol your in good hands we got a lot of good folk here sign up for the contest.
No joke I was a absolute greenhorn three years ago and still am
Everyone took me under their wing so to speak!
Welcome to the addiction
Treebeard
Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow , thems some nice birds. Welcome the guys and Gals here will help you out in every corner of the sport...
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

welcome! That deer blind may work perfect but just remember you're turkey hunting and not deer hunting.

I know a lot of guys who hunt turkeys like they do deer in the fall. They kill the occasional bird but don't get as much from what the sport has to offer IMO. Different ballgame.

My folks are some of those Canadians who come to SC for the winter. They always want us to come for a vist during March break. When does your season open? I'll bring my calls with me and we can have LOADS of fun bringing you up to speed on the fine art of turkey hunting! lol
Old 01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
Wow , thems some nice birds. Welcome the guys and Gals here will help you out in every corner of the sport...
Those are the babies. Seen some monsters this past week and moved my trail cameras to where the leaves are all scratched up to hopefully get some new pics. Hell even my Jakes already have 3-4" beards and some of them are no bigger than a pheasant just longer neck and legs lol. Just got in a load of stuff we are supposed to mix with our feed for some cows we are about to get. Its some God-awful smelling yellow stuff but its supposedly pure protein. Im thinking about mixing it with shelled corn and putting it where I have seen them feeding. Should make for Turkzilla.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 01-18-2012 at 01:32 PM.