Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Could use some turkey help >

Could use some turkey help

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Could use some turkey help

Old 12-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Spike

Default Could use some turkey help

Hey guys hope your not harsh on newbies, but I'm age 20 and slowly progressing into hunting. As I'm getting ready for my first turkey hunt this spring I was hoping I could ask some general questions.
Btw I live in western Illinois.

Do you guys have any good suggestions for kind of an all purpose shotgun?

Are turkeys generally more fond of open fields or in thick woods?

Are they abundant throughout the midwest? In other words would I be able to find them easily around where I live?

Well thanks guys!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Spike

Turkeys are pretty common all over the u.s and to answer your question about terrain they need 3 common thing. Water,fields and timber to roost in. Concealment is a big part of the game as they have incredible eyesight and being proficient with your calls is important. Never over call as all that does is educate them. Peak their interest then stop. As far as guns go, any 12 or 20ga will work as long as you use the proper loads and a full or extra full choke. There is really to much info to try and put on one post but i would recommend getting your hands and some magazimes and books. Also start practing your calling now. Hope this helps man.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

IMO, your best bet would be tag along with an experienced turkey hunter, it will cut the learning curve by years.

As mentioned, any shotgun with an extra-tight choke should do the trick.

If you're in farm country, there should be birds. They may be in the woods, or they may be in the fields, depending on food, weather, and where they choose to strut.

They're much easier to locate in wide open, flat farm fields than in hilly woodlands. Try getting out before daybreak a few weeks before the season opens, you may be able to pinpoint where they roost by listening for gobbles.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums and your new addiction Once you go and hear that first gobble your hooked. My suggestion is read this forum and our archives. You will find all the information you need here. We have many many knowledgeable men and women here. If you have questions just ask.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

First off - CONGRATS on deciding to chase the KING of the woods! I bet you'll love it and if you're like most of us - you'll be ADDICTED!!! LOL

There are TONS of things you can try/learn when turkey hunting - but Nicky is right, if you got someone you can tag along with, that would be IDEAL! If you go to the archive section of the turkey forum - there is a TON of info there on everything you would ever need to know about getting started & being successful at turkey hunting.

I have a 12 ga and a 20 ga Rem 870 - I use a Rhino Choke tube and then you'll want to arm yourself with a few good calls. (tube, slate, box, mouth, etc.) and get good at that.

The turkey's roost in the woods and spend a good deal of time in them as well as in the fields. Knowing the pattern of the turkey's/where they roost will be your best places to start... I could go ON & ON... But check out the archives and let us know if you have any other questions. GOOD LUCK!!!!! We have an awesome spring turkey contest (just for fun) so join that too - cuz your teammates will be a big help to you too.

Kim
Old 12-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Spike

Exclamation help

hey guys seems found a nice place for reading and have done some so registered to ask
never could find the right place to post but a q for you I went hunting with an expierenced hunter today in a place that is easy and quite plentiful for turkey having even seen 20 or thirty during deer season 2 weeks ago camera has plenty from last couple days we used a mouth and hand caller box nothing came down this morning or today now your talking they always do
also we were still and hidden etc somebody has always taken a turkey here everytime why didnt they fly down at all today Rain was in forcast though it was def in the air didnt start til tonight any idea why they disapeared
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Spike

Thanks guys! You guys have no idea how much this helps! And yes thankfully I have someone more experienced to go with! I cant wait to go out in the spring but until then I'm gonna be practicing my mouth calls

Im addicted already lol
Old 12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you hear your first tom gobble in to your set up and then you hear the drumming....know this, you'll be done..forever afflicted.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

LOL JoeA!!!! You are ONE BILLION PERCENT right!!!!!!!!!

Kim
Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

this spring is also my first season turkey hunting. I already picked up some mouth calls, and to my surprise...I am actually getting the hang of it alot faster than I thought! I will be hunting in the middle and southern parts of Missouri. I have done a tone of research. Check out this site: http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/hunting/tips.htm also just search "Spring Turkey Hunting Tips (insert your state)" on Google. there should be a TON of stuff that helps you out. and just remember...proper planning prevents poor performance. get out there, scout, try calling a few birds in but don't put too much pressure on em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.