Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Feral cat? Should I take it out? >

Feral cat? Should I take it out?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Feral cat? Should I take it out?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feral cat? Should I take it out?

Hi everyone. I have a question concerning a black cat I have seen on 3 occasions while deer hunting from my stand. The problem is, just within the last few years the wild Turkey population has really grown in this area. I keep seeing this cat on the prowl & I swear it looks like it is up too no good. I can't explain it... can just tell. lol .... I've asked the landowner and he said he has never seen this cat, to do whatever I want. I talked to a local DNR officer a few years back as he was walking some trails on state property carrying some box traps & a 1/2 dozen conibear (sp?) traps over his shoulder. He said the traps were for feral cats that had populated themselves on the state land. He further explained that the cats can have a devastating effect on the local turkey population as they will eat the chicks as soon as they hatch. Should I be worrying about one sneaky acting black cat? I have no problems with them personally, and I don't want to mistakingly kill a child's (or adults) pet. Should I forget about it? or take it out of the picture if I see it again? Just curious as to what others think.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Hi everyone. I have a question concerning a black cat I have seen on 3 occasions while deer hunting from my stand. The problem is, just within the last few years the wild Turkey population has really grown in this area. I keep seeing this cat on the prowl & I swear it looks like it is up too no good. I can't explain it... can just tell. lol .... I've asked the landowner and he said he has never seen this cat, to do whatever I want. I talked to a local DNR officer a few years back as he was walking some trails on state property carrying some box traps & a 1/2 dozen conibear (sp?) traps over his shoulder. He said the traps were for feral cats that had populated themselves on the state land. He further explained that the cats can have a devastating effect on the local turkey population as they will eat the chicks as soon as they hatch. Should I be worrying about one sneaky acting black cat? I have no problems with them personally, and I don't want to mistakingly kill a child's (or adults) pet. Should I forget about it? or take it out of the picture if I see it again? Just curious as to what others think.
Shoot it.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's the direction I was leaning... especially since the woods is just starting to be getting good.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

If it was on my land, I would probably take it out to help the small game in the area.
If its not my land I would be wary playing wildlife manager on someone elses property
Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
If it was on my land, I would probably take it out to help the small game in the area.
If its not my land I would be wary playing wildlife manager on someone elses property

I agree 100%... as I stated in the original post, the landowner (who is also a good friend) told me to do what I want. I would never even consider doing this type of thing without first checking with the property owner. However, I am simply curious what others had to say. Especially in the Turkey Forum since I have heard that wild (previously domestic)cats, barn cats etc, can have a negative impact on the turkey populations, given the added stress of having yet another, previously not present, predator taking even more of their young "right out of the gate". And maybe this is not to be considered a widespread problem, just just certain areas where the state, and private individuals, are trying to help get the wild turkey populations well established.

BTW - As a lifetime hunter/outdoorsman, I have always tried to do the right things. I enjoy & respect all animals. As we know, they each have an important place in the environment. I also realize that certain species (both domesticated & wild) in the wrong places can have negative effects on the environment.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Think you have thought about the decision and sounds like you are justified in whatever you choose.
I would probably take it out.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Spike

Shoot the thing and never look back!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

Shoot it - Feral cats do more damage to wildlife than most native predators. If you have ever seen - what they will do to a nest of baby rabbits or quail or pheasants, never mind the songbirds they kill - as I have - then there would never be a question of what to do. They will maim or cripple every one they can catch and then - maybe - only kill and eat a part of one of them. They are not a legitimate part of our environment.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

S.S.S. That's all I gotta say 'bout that...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alpine_Archer
S.S.S. That's all I gotta say 'bout that...
LOL Beat me to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.