HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What type of calls? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/348198-what-type-calls.html)

Nomercy448 08-15-2011 12:27 AM

What type of calls?

I've never called myself a turkey hunter, but my wife and sister have decided to take it up for this season. They're pretty well rigged out with everything they need except for calls...

Knowing nothing about turkey calls, except a LITTLE about what they should sound like (but no idea how to make them sound that way!), what type of calls would you recommend for new callers? Or should they have a few different types on hand? I don't have much experience, but I've at least handled mouth diaphrams, box calls, and slate/friction calls. My mom has what I'd call a "striker" call (triangular piece of wood with a chalky "striker") that a family friend made her, but she's never used it.

Inevitably, I'm going to have to learn how to run the calls, then teach them, so I'm looking for something that I can pick up relatively easily, then pass along effectively. (What's most LIKELY to happen is that I'm going to be stuck out there calling while they just do the shooting!)...

Also, what methods/sounds seem to be most effective at bringing them into sight, and then alternatively, what sounds do you use to bring them into range from there? I do a lot of predator calling, so I'm assuming that turkey calling will be similar in that you'll use one sound to bring them to the field, then have another sound ready to coax them further into range?

Arrowmaster 08-15-2011 05:54 PM

Easiest call to use its a push button call. Slate/friction calls are easy to use as well. Once those are mastered move up to a box call the a mouth call. I prefer mouth calls and a slate call. It takes a lot of patience and practice. Maybe get them an instructional video. They can help. Learn how to yelp, cluck, purr, and learn a fly down cackle as well. oops I forgot learn how to cutt as well. Practice until you get a good rythum. Good luck. Its really not as hard as it seems :)

JoeA 08-17-2011 01:31 PM

Watch a few tuyrkey hunting DVDs. Most of the major call makers offer instructional DVDs with a call.

***the following information my ellicit strong feelings from other turkey hunters***

1. (Best Bet to Start) Slate call. They are easy to learn and versatile. They come in a variety of surfaces. Slate/ceramic or crystal are good surfaces to start. Some calls have 3 or 4 different surfaces, allowing you to sound like different hens.

2. A box calls are easy to use, but may require a bit of care to maintain their tone.

3. Mouth calls are good, but require practice.

4. Push button yelpers are easy to use, but less versatile.

huntnma 08-17-2011 01:53 PM

get them a power crystal :)

Murdy 08-17-2011 06:30 PM

Primos Jackpot slate (not glass) is easy to master and a good value. Box calls are also easy enough--Joe mentions maintenance, which is true, unless you get a wet weather box, which are no maintenance, but only last a few years (depending on how much you use them) and then you have to buy a new one. I like mouth calls, and, they are a little difficult to get the hang of, but once you do, you can become (reasonably) proficient with them fast.

"I do a lot of predator calling, so I'm assuming that turkey calling will be similar in that you'll use one sound to bring them to the field, then have another sound ready to coax them further into range?"
I don't know much about predator calling, but I assume your doing call that have a predator coming in looking for a meal. With a turkey, its all about mating, so they are want to come in. Often, rather than trying to coax a tom in the last little bit, it makes more sense to shut down and make him come looking for you (I guess I'm thinking spring turkey here when I talk about mating, so if you are talking fall, the previous may not be that relevant--also, if you are talking about spring, don't forget locator calls). Anyways, good luck.

HUNTING CHICK 38 08-17-2011 08:23 PM

A good friend of mine owns http://www.gobblerdown.com/ His custom calls are amazing! If you have any questions, call the number on his website and he will answer any concerns you have. He has more knowledge when it comes to turkey hunting than anyone I know... Good luck to ya

Tcaller 08-19-2011 06:19 PM

I suggest trying a ceramic friction call with a weather proof striker, they work even when wet. Check out my website at www.jrsturkeycalls.com for a great line of turkey, deer ,and other game calls. Conatact me with any questionsyou may have.

RockyMtnGobblers 08-24-2011 07:35 AM

Fall Hunting

Your post date suggest you are asking how to fall hunt turkeys, if that is correct You will need to use the kee kee run( lost poult) this works very well in the fall.
Locate the turkeys and you can hunt like spring season or the standard fall hunting tactics.
The push botton call is the easyest but I have never hunted with it. I prefer the mouth call DD and glass or ceramic friction calls.
Turkeys see VERY well so when they are close in I only use the mouth call.

SouthernSpur 09-11-2011 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 3834743)
I've never called myself a turkey hunter, but my wife and sister have decided to take it up for this season. They're pretty well rigged out with everything they need except for calls...

Knowing nothing about turkey calls, except a LITTLE about what they should sound like (but no idea how to make them sound that way!), what type of calls would you recommend for new callers? Or should they have a few different types on hand? I don't have much experience, but I've at least handled mouth diaphrams, box calls, and slate/friction calls. My mom has what I'd call a "striker" call (triangular piece of wood with a chalky "striker") that a family friend made her, but she's never used it.

Inevitably, I'm going to have to learn how to run the calls, then teach them, so I'm looking for something that I can pick up relatively easily, then pass along effectively. (What's most LIKELY to happen is that I'm going to be stuck out there calling while they just do the shooting!)...

Also, what methods/sounds seem to be most effective at bringing them into sight, and then alternatively, what sounds do you use to bring them into range from there? I do a lot of predator calling, so I'm assuming that turkey calling will be similar in that you'll use one sound to bring them to the field, then have another sound ready to coax them further into range?

Wild Turkey is nothing like a predator hunt as far as calling.
Sometimes, I may only make 2 or 3 SHORT, series of Yelps or feeding talk in the entire morning. I am talking a total, of maybe 6 or 8 yelps, and thats it, all morning long.

What you need to do, is watch some youtube videos, get the Tree Top Turkey CD, and listen to it often, you need to know what to say, and when to say it, and in what voice. Hen, gobbler, poult, Jake.

If I were you, I would contact Roger Parks, buy one of his Gobbler Pot's, $45.00 is all I think, and he will also send a DVD of him running the call, HOW, to make that sound, and how to hold and run the striker, for that call. Very educational to even the experienced Turkey Hunter.

Anyone can find and Lay up and wait the turkeys out on they're daily stroll, it is another thing completely, to play the Game with respect to the Turkey, and call them to your gun.

mfolsom3 09-28-2011 03:11 AM

I have actually called one up using the Gobbler Turkey call for android phones. I didnt think it would work because the speakers are crappy. Probably not as good as a more experienced hunters manual call. But obviously better than my attempts.