HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   turkey broadhead???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/347363-turkey-broadhead.html)

mortalcare 07-28-2011 08:20 PM

turkey broadhead????

im looking for a cheap turkey broadhead that will drop birds easy....now ive seen people ask this question and have people respond with broadheads that cost 30$ apiece. thats not cheap to me. i do all most of my shopping at walmart sooo.....any ideas?

CarbonElement 08-03-2011 03:19 PM

turkey killin

2 Attachment(s)
well just go to wally world and buy there broadhead, if you shoot a bird where it counts, it dont really matter what your shooting! you really need to look at a chart on turkey vitals, they are a tuff critter!

CarbonElement 08-03-2011 03:24 PM

here is my show, i shot this turkey with a magnus buzz cut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQV2jqEV1eU

oldsmellhound 08-05-2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mortalcare (Post 3828071)
im looking for a cheap turkey broadhead that will drop birds easy...

I've taken 3 turkeys with a bow, and none of them "dropped easy". They are very tough and their vital zone is very small. The only way to drop them right away every time is to go for a head shot.

Having said that, I took 1 with a NAP Thunderhead, and 2 with cheapo Cabelas brand mechanicals- think they were called "Lazer Strike". Cost $10 or $12 for a 3 pack. They cheapo mechanicals worked just fine, but it is all about shot placement.

2 of the 3 turkeys I took required follow-up shots, they are very tough to take with a bow. Good luck and good hunting!

mortalcare 08-05-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound (Post 3830616)
I've taken 3 turkeys with a bow, and none of them "dropped easy". They are very tough and their vital zone is very small. The only way to drop them right away every time is to go for a head shot.

Having said that, I took 1 with a NAP Thunderhead, and 2 with cheapo Cabelas brand mechanicals- think they were called "Lazer Strike". Cost $10 or $12 for a 3 pack. They cheapo mechanicals worked just fine, but it is all about shot placement.

2 of the 3 turkeys I took required follow-up shots, they are very tough to take with a bow. Good luck and good hunting!

well that makes it sound like bow hunting turkeys is inhumane....

HeavyD11 10-17-2011 07:45 PM

Get them in close and Heads shots with Gobbler Guillotine then they can't run away.

Nomercy448 10-29-2011 11:42 AM

The Rage two-blades I shoot for deer run $39.99 for 3 heads, so do the Gobbler Guillotine I'm trying out for turkeys this year.

I have taken several turkeys while deer hunting over the years (opportunity shots). I took body shots with Rage 2 Blades, NAP Blood Runners, and Muzzy's. Almost every bird I've shot in the body with a broadhead has flopped and flogged for quite a while, even if they do die quickly. I figure I don't take body shots with a shotgun, why take them with a bow?

The one thing I'd say about the "turkey heads", like the Magnus Bullhead, or the Gobbler Guillotine is that you REALLY need to practice with your broadheads. Even though they're thin blades, they're still a fixed blade, and they need a little extra steerage in the rear.

I was using 3 straight blazers on my shafts with Rage 2 blade heads, and I can't shoot groups under 40yrds or I have to buy new arrows. The Gobbler Guillotines were all over the place. I swapped over to 4 vanes with 4" duravanes, still straight, and now they're flying very well. I clocked mine so the blades are level, flying like a +, not like an X. Based on my targets, I'm 100% confident if I get a bird within 40yrds, I'll cut his head clean off!

AP HD_Jake 10-29-2011 03:10 PM

shot the guillotine and have nothing good to say about it. shot a tom with it 10 yds away. it cut him up and he ran nowhere but broke 2 of the blades. i thought it was ok until i shot another tom later in the year. i hit just on the bubble and what happened i could not believe. when it hit him all 4 blades broke off. the arrow went through his neck but it was like shooting him with a field point. i use just a good deer broadhead hit them in the spine. works fine