Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting? >

What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Spike

Default What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

I'm new to the turkey hunting scene and having only upland shotguns, what is a good type of shotgun for tukeys? I know everyone will say something different, but I have no idea really. What should I look for, and what should I avoid?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on your state regs. I have used the Rem. 870 express 12 g. none camo for over 10 years and love it ! Many hunters swear by this Rem but as you said everyone has their favorite. I may be looking for a new camo 870 next year just because I'd like to try a new one but I'll keep my old Rem!!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Mossberg 500 has killed every turkey I have ever shot at with it except one, and that was before I had a barrel with variable chokes. I only had a modified choke barrel that came with the gun as a combo. I don't mind dragging it through mud or whatever else, and I often hunt in the rain. I would be a lot more careful if it were an autoloader. IMO, it is about the ideal "beater" shotgun. If you want to shoot 3.5" shells, you could go with a Model 535.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

870 or 500 unless you want to spend some dough........................

Get an autoloader !

3 1/2" magnum with an extra full turkey choke and then you'll also have a waterfowling gun.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

i use an old stevens 820b with a poly choke,smoothest shotgun i have
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I suggest something that accepts 3" shells, is lightweight, and has a full choke. I hunt with an 11-87 Premier LC. If you don't have a great deal of ground to hike, weight won't be as big an issue.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 11-87 sportsman with the right or left hand thumbhole stock very comfortable.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Spike

My preferance and I'll never use anything else is the Mossberg 835 tactiacal turkey chambered in a 2 3/4,3 and 3 1/2 inch magnum with a double extra full choke,20 inch overbored barrel with and adjustable stock and pistol grip stock. Deadly out to 55 yards. Now I done condone a shot that long but it's nice to know you have something that will reach out if a bird hangs up. Mine has been proven it's first time out at 45 yards in which the ole tom was dusted. I also mounted a red dot scope on it as a bonus. Heres a link to the gun.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=19