Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
season cut short due to back injury >

season cut short due to back injury

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

season cut short due to back injury

Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default season cut short due to back injury

long post but fun ending...

I've been working with a bad back for some time now. It got bad enough that I finally went to the doc. She put me on some pain pills and told me to come back if it kept getting worse. Well, it did. She had me get an MRI and I had a bad L5-S1 disc herniation in my lower back. This is all right about the beginning of my turkey season. I went out my first morning and scored on a jake. Well, things went from bad to worse a couple days later. I completely blew the disc out and made a trip to the ER. The next day I was unable to get off the ground. Couldn't lay down, couldn't sit up, definitely couldn't walk. I actually draped myself over my wife's exercise ball for over a week. I slept in that position. I was on that ball for a 3 hour drive to a neurosurgeon in the back of our van. Since the original MRI showed only the damage on the left, he said I needed a new one to show the new damage. And that had to be scheduled about a week later due to the Easter holiday weekend. Sooo. Another 3 hour drive on the ball after spending Easter weekend laying on the floor on the ball. I had an MRI and they immediately admitted me for surgery. The doctor said that the nerve pressure was so severe that at any moment I could lose all sensation in my legs and lose bowel/bladder control.
Last Wednesday I had a very low-invasive surgery that pretty much fixed me up instantly. Thursday afternoon I was able to come home. That was the beginning of the season for my other turkey tag. I obviously wasn't in shape to hunt and I was pretty bummed. Today marked the last day of Illinois' season. I'm getting around pretty well (slowly though) so I worked up the nerve to tell my wife I was going out this morning. She obviously told me I was insane, but I wasn't going to miss out. I emptied my vest except for one mouth call and a water bottle. I have a 10lb lifting restriction. Instead of the Mossy 535 that kicks like a mule even when I'm not sore, I opted for the Sony camcorder.

As soon as I stepped out of the truck there was a bird hammering just inside the woods. I set a decoy out and got the camera ready. He gobbled like a champ for me for a good while. I ended up coaxing him within 40 yards before I think he caught me messing with the camcorder. My 535 will destroy a target at 50y with Hevi-13's, so I'm going to consider this a kill

I didn't get to bring a bird home, but I got to see and hear the show. That's what it's all about. I thank the good Lord above for getting me in shape quickly enough after my surgery for me to make it out this last morning and enjoy playing tag with Ol' Tom.

I am uploading the video right now but due to my slow internet connection it is going to take all night. I will try to get it up tomorrow. Nothing too exciting to watch, and you only see the bird for a short while. But at least I have proof I got him in close enough to shoot!

rw
Old 05-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Feel better soon !!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Spike

It's a shame you weren't able to get a bird, but it's great that you got to experience the thrill of the hunt. Can't wait to see the video.

Just look at it this way, in a mere 48 weeks you'll be back at it with your Mossberg. Best of luck next season.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to here what you've been through Hunt12ga. I'm sure you put your heart and soul into all hunting Turkey involves,but you have the right attitude and you got to enjoy the best part of a hunt. I think the best part is getting to interact with these impressive birds which you did,I consider your hunt a success and he would have been in the bag for sure if you could have packed your weapon instead of the cam.