HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Hoosier Gobbler DRT ! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/344038-hoosier-gobbler-drt.html)

dog killer 04-29-2011 07:11 PM

Hoosier Gobbler DRT !

season started wednsday and i took 3 days off work.had a plan to set up at my father inlaws place where i had been seeing birds every day in the field.what i didn't know was my bro inlaw was also gonna be there.not really a problem since there is over 200 acres to hunt.guess where he set up ? between the roosted birds and me !!! i was 300 yds down the field from roost when he shot twice....and missed. went running/gunning the rest of the day and all i could find were jakes. thursday morning went back to same spot.....bro inlaw missed again :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: i repeated day one and came home wore out. today i went to another spot where i had seen all jakes.stopped on the road and crow called and got a gobble back at my buddys cabin.drove on down the road and parked at his gate,jumped out and heard 3 gobblers sound off !
hoofed it closer and got really close to to gobblers on the roost together.one must have spotted me cause he clammed up,but the other kept hammering! i could hear a hen yelping behind him in the woods and prayed he would pitch out into the clearing between me and him [just so happens it was an old tiny CEMETARY !] It was a good place to die !!! he gobbled a few more times and pitch out 15 yrds in front of me,popped his head up high ,took two steps and ran into a face full of custom NITRO[not remington] 4x5x7 hevishot ! these loads are good for 60+ yards and i just about missed him he was so close ! BBD !:happy0001:

Species-Eastern
Remington 12 ga.11-87SP Camo,custom 3 inch NITRO 4x5x7 hevishot,Primos Jellyhead .660 choke

JakeGrice 04-30-2011 09:24 AM

congratz, how long is that beard?

dog killer 04-30-2011 04:38 PM

22.5 lbs
12 inch beard
7/8 and 15/16 inch spurs

turk2di 05-01-2011 05:51 AM

Congrats!!! Man...what a rope!!

swampbuster 05-01-2011 04:54 PM

Way to go dog killer great bird and great story!

doetrain 05-02-2011 02:30 AM

Great looking bird,what a paintbrush beard. Good job DK,hard hunting does pay off and the proof is before us. Thaks for sharing your hunt with us,good story with a happy ending.

dog killer 05-02-2011 02:57 PM

Thanks guys!
I got home from work this afternoon and went in my barn.........to discover my cat had pulled the beard from a small container of BORAX and now it is in 3 pieces.
not much damage,just chewed on at the base/gristle. i can fix it if i dip the base in epoxy to hold it together. lucky for my cat that i'm a gentle soul.just really pissed !

Western MA Hunter 05-03-2011 04:50 AM

Nice one.. .now that is a rope!