Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Do you think this is a bearded hen? >

Do you think this is a bearded hen?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you think this is a bearded hen?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

The first turkey I ever took looked just like this HEN, she had a 6 and 3/4 inch beard no waddles little nubs not spurs and no black tips on her breast feathers, her tail fan feathers where all even just like a gobbler, Oh yeah when I gutted her I found eggs.

I don't know much about the internal workings of hens but may have already layed her eggs and the new ones where way to small for us laymen to identify. But I would bet when he gets back with use he will say the breast feathers where Not blk.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM
j76
Typical Buck

On my way home from tonites hunt seen my first bearded hen ever!! And had no doubt that it WAS a hen, was easy to tell.......Still can't say either way about this one.....just wanted to keep the argument goin!!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Spike

Bearded hens dont have spurs as this bird does.Its a jake.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

I still don't see spurs
Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Jake no question
Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

looks like a hen to me , just my opinion
Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW!
Another thing to look at ~ the Tail.

I suspect the center 4 tail feathers are longer than the rest of the tail feathers...iiiIIIIiii :0
He said the fan was mostly even besides the the two outside feathers... which to me sounds like a hen. I could be wrong but hens typically have mostly even tail feathers unlike those of a jake. Now on the spurs issue im having trouble seeing any spurs but he said it had nubs much smaller than spurs of any jake he had ever seen. So it looks like the argument still stands... Unless it is common for hens to have nubs, then it is with out a question a hen. Now I think it will come down to whether the breast feathers are black lined or buffed.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

look at the breast feathers. Seem to have black tips which would make it a male so definately a Jake. Head looks like a Jake to me too and even though the spurs are very small nubs, they're still there. Definately a Jake!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

as fog horn leg horn would say..I,I,I,I,i,i d-d-d do believe we need this here bird sexed!!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Matchbook454
look at the breast feathers. Seem to have black tips which would make it a male so definately a Jake. Head looks like a Jake to me too and even though the spurs are very small nubs, they're still there. Definately a Jake!
Im not seeing the black tipped breast feathers. I see black tipped feathers on its back but not breast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.