HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Youngest hunter to take turkey (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/343410-youngest-hunter-take-turkey.html)

BrianB. 04-14-2011 06:10 PM

Youngest hunter to take turkey

Does anyone know who the youngest kid is thats bagged a turkey?
My son starts on monday and hes 2 weeks over the age of 5..

We were out tonite roosting birds and needless to say I think he was more excited then I was! Pp

DTC 04-15-2011 08:30 AM

I don't know about the youngest, but my son DTC Jr killed a rio in TX and an eastern in MO when he was 6 years old. Nothing better than taking your son hunting. Memories to last a lifetime for sure! Good luck to both of you.

opg 04-15-2011 10:06 AM

5 sounds really young. just curious,what gun we'll he be shooting? goodluck!

bullmoose38 04-15-2011 11:09 AM

Im not sure the youngest. But i remember reading about a girl who got the slam when she was 5.

BrianB. 04-15-2011 05:01 PM

Mossberg 500 20ga. youth turkey edition

Shooting Magnum Blend Hevi Shot 6's 11/4 oz. Should be light on the shoulder for him..

Fieldmouse 04-15-2011 06:33 PM

I was going to say DTC son was mighty young when he scored. It's a lot of fun. I got to enjoy my first serious turkey hunt with my son when he was 10. I had been out but not anything serious like I have been. My first trip was with my son and he nailed his at 7:15 am. I was overwhelmed. Then it hit me. Weeks and weeks worth of scouting. Miles and mile walked and it was all over in less than 45 mins of legal shooting hours.

Since then he's gone with my neighbor while I've been with his sister and his football friend. He's done well with 3 birds and one miss fire last week. Next year he will be 15 and my hunting guide. That will be fun.

Whitetailmadness 04-15-2011 07:41 PM

Should be light on the shoulder for him....

Originally Posted by BrianB. (Post 3798972)
Mossberg 500 20ga. youth turkey edition

Shooting Magnum Blend Hevi Shot 6's 11/4 oz. Should be light on the shoulder for him..

I assume by the fact you say that the gun should be light on his shoulder that he's never shot it before. If thats the case I wouldnt even take him out and try to shoot a bird untill he's been to the range and actually shot it. Not to mention the amount of gun safety he needs to know about before ever shooting it. Don't get me wrong cause I know you're anxoius to get him out there,bhut that little man needs some training before an actual hunt takes place. Just my opinion. I'd hate to hear of that little guy getting hurt by not knowing what to expect.

BrianB. 04-15-2011 08:14 PM

He's been out to the range many times with a 22 and does very well. Were dedicating this weekend to shooting shooting and more shooting..

He won't be handling the gun very much other then pulling the trigger when he's sitting between my legs against the tree.

Nobody should be letting there young kids handle a gun without strict supervision anyhow..

swampbuster 04-17-2011 06:08 AM

My oldest daughter is 4yr old and I hope to get her involved in hunting soon.

DTC 04-20-2011 06:34 AM

DTC Jr was 3 when he started shooting a 22. He killed his first squirrel with a .410 at age 3 and then he helped me shoot coons out of traps too. We started shooting the 20 gauge at age 6 with bird shot. He doesn't even know there is a difference between a 2 3/4" number 7 or a 3" number 5. He has 7 longbeards under his belt at age 8. 3 rios from TX and 4 easterns in MO, and we are headed to NE next week for merriams. He has killed 3 deer, 1 doe, and an 8 and 9 pt buck. The 9 pt will score around 130". I will say with kids always use ear protection and we always wear his heavy coat too so he doesn't notice the recoil when practicing.