Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

shotgun

Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Spike

Default shotgun

Ok I am in need of a shotgun, would like it to be versatile. Turkey hunting, pheasant and trap would be its uses. I am looking at a couple options. Go with Rem 870 for reliability and price, Rem 11-87 or Beretta Xtrema2. Any opinions on them? I know it apples to oranges, but the recoil reduction of the xtrema would be nice. If I went that route it will be end of the year before I can afford it prob. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Those Beretta shotguns are nice. That's what I would like to have next.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Rem 11-87 will be my next one!

Kim
Old 04-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of Beretta Exrema.

BTW - Great for ducks & geese also !

Fully camo'ed & 3 1/2" chamber
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Spike

I really dont know if I want autoloading or not? I have never actually shot one. I have shot plenty of pump actions and o/u's but never a semi. I think the reduced recoil is the one thing i would really like. I already have a .300 WSM that I hunt big game with and that beats me up enough.

So does anyone with real world autoloading experience, especially xtrema vs others, feel like there is actually a major difference in recoil? I dont want to spend an extra $600 when I could go with the 11-87 and be happy. Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Spike

I recommend a Mossberg 935 or an 835, depending on if you want an autoloader or a pump. These two shotguns are just as good as a remington, if not better, and not nearly as expensive. Not to mention, they are basically catered to turkey hunters, with a number of options available, such as a thumbhole stock, or a pistol grip and many more options
Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any "gas gun" especially with a recoil reduction "system" (ie: "Kick-off") and good recoil pad will be the softest shooting shotgun known to man.

Second, are the inertia driven autoloaders with some kind of recoil reduction "system" and good recoil pad.

A lot of clay bird shooters love gas guns, because it enables them to get on their second birds much easier (not much muzzle rise).
Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

remmington 870 is an ultimate shotgun,but the best way to get a gun is checking with friends,small shops,pawn shops,and classifieds for nice cheap guns.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tjshunter13
I recommend a Mossberg 935 or an 835, depending on if you want an autoloader or a pump. These two shotguns are just as good as a remington, if not better, and not nearly as expensive. Not to mention, they are basically catered to turkey hunters, with a number of options available, such as a thumbhole stock, or a pistol grip and many more options
if you are goin to choose the gun because it has a thumbhole or pistol grip then you ought to know that remington was the first to put a thumbhole on a shot gun and in fact the 11-87 has such. thumhole or the sure shot or the knox stock and you dont have to make as much movment to flip the safty off. but i agree that the 835and 935 are 2 of the best turkey guns made.

Last edited by snapper1982; 04-15-2011 at 12:44 PM.