HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Morning Hunt of Afternoon Hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/342970-morning-hunt-afternoon-hunt.html)

tndeerhunter80 04-03-2011 07:35 PM

Morning Hunt of Afternoon Hunt?

Ok, everyone has their preferance. I would like to know if you like to hunt the mornings or the afternoons and why. I am new to Turkey Hunting and sometimes the ol schedual wont allow me to hunt all day. So what is it folks?

doetrain 04-04-2011 07:01 AM

I prefer the afternoon hunts from 3:00 to 6:00,reason being this is when I as a first year hunter last year had all my success when calling and getting Toms to come in to my decoys. I asked some expieranced hunters why I had such success not being a very good caller or knowledgable hunter. They told me that due to the lateness of our season here in Indiana many of the hens had been bred and were nesting of looking for nesting sites so the Toms had fewer hens to choose from. During this time of day they will respond quickly and come in not being hung up with a bunch of hens. I had 7 Toms 4Jakes and 2 mature birds come in not more than 5 to 10 minutes of calling at this time of day.
I used a slate call first then a mouth call doing yelps and cutting hen calls only alternating them to sound like more than one hen. I set up 2 hen decoys and a Jake. I shot the Jake because the first mature bird gave me no good shot. The second mature bird I called in for a youth hunter,her first hunt and Turkey. See my Album if you want to see the birds. Good Hunting to ya!

RockyMtnGobblers 04-04-2011 07:47 AM

I hunt all day or at least morning and afternoon 3-7, I kill most of my birds in the afternoon.
I mostly hunt an area where the turkeys go to private property after fly down in fact they usually fly from the roost right to private property, so the morning is shot when they do that. In the afternoon the gobblers are looking for hens and are easer to call in.

Diesel77 04-04-2011 07:56 AM

Morning definately for me, mainly because there is just something about hearing birds gobbling on the roost or right after fly down when they are fired up that is just incredible. Makes it allot of fun when you are interacting with the birds which more frequently for me has been in the mornings, much more vocal, even if I dont kill a bird, I can go home smiling after hearing some gobbles. Afternoon I very rarely hear birds get fired up as much, but has happened on occasion. Afternoon hunts can be very productive, just not as much talkin which is what I really love about turkey hunting.

worstcaster 04-04-2011 08:44 AM

Usually I prefer hunting in the afternoon. I work nights so when I afternoon hunt I don't need to get up early. Also game animals tend to move around more around dawn and dusk. That's not to say some good animals have not been shot in midday, just that more action tends to happen around those times. So hunting the morning I expect to see less and less game as the day wears on. In the afternoon every moment becomes more tense as you wait for the game to start moving. That being said I will hunt turkey in the morning because legal shooting hours in NY are sunrise until 12:00 for the spring season. :rolleye0011:

Adrian J Hare 04-04-2011 12:21 PM

I like hunting morning and afternoons..

EFH 04-04-2011 12:52 PM

If I have to pick I would say mornings because they let you know were they are. I like hearing all the birds gobble, thats what makes you want to go! That being said, I'm like Adrian, mornings and afternoons are good. I've found if you get one to answer in the afternoon the odds are better he'll not have hens and come in.

Bible_Man 04-04-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by EFH (Post 3794935)
If I have to pick I would say mornings because they let you know were they are. I like hearing all the birds gobble, thats what makes you want to go! That being said, I'm like Adrian, mornings and afternoons are good. I've found if you get one to answer in the afternoon the odds are better he'll not have hens and come in.

+1 on everything mentioned. I usually have more fun in the mornings, but it generally seems easier to kill them in the afternoon.

Bucktail_Bob 04-04-2011 03:53 PM

You can only hunt till 1 in Illinois, so I like hunting mornings.

bb

kdsberman 04-04-2011 04:01 PM

Mornings, definetly. More vocal, seem to be in a better mood. The thing with afternoons though is that theyre tricky IMO. They seem less vocal and might not make their presence known as easily. Only thing bad about mornings is theyre colder!