Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossburg 500 Shot

Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

I have a mossberg 535 with the standard full choke and I wasn't that impressed by the winchester high velocity stuff. The federal flight controls in #4 are great in a 3.5" shell, but if you're going to be hunting with a 3" I would go with #6 shot. They still have plenty of energy at < 40 yards and they pattern much more densely.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]
Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Were you shooting your gun at a turkey target or were you all cought up in the "10in circle hype"???[
I use the HS Turkey targets, I was getting about 12 to 20 bb's in the neck/head area at 30 and 40 yards anda few below that.
Mr Longbeard . How do you get your pellets to fly in the exact same pattern every shot? I mean Mr. longbeard if you're all about the pretty picture of the turkey when patterning your gun it must be because those 12 pellets in the neck are going to be there on the next shot too right?

10 inch circle "hype" . lol. Buddy you really need to get away from your computer and stop being a internet turkey talker.

Almost 4000 posts! I'm just sayin'

Now i gotta log off. There is a public WMA in rural Ohio that is callin' me. Off to the real world of turkey hunting with my Hevi-13. Enjoy your computer Mr Longbeard
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

#5's, don't shoot over 30 yards. I like them as close as I can get them, 5 or 10 ft.. I am almost deaf, and like to hear them spit, pur, and drum. Another reason for a close shot, is if something goes wrong, you can get another shoot!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Mossburg 500 Shot-dscn14810445.jpg   Mossburg 500 Shot-dscn14780442.jpg  
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check your PM. I sent you one.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

I had a Mossberg 88 (basically a 500) and it liked the 3" Win Supreme 6's, but not the 5's. In fact, every gun I've ever shot turkey loads from didn't like 5's. I know there are less pellets, but it wasn't just density. The patterns were very inconsistent. The 6's did great.

rw
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=OntElk;3798188]

Mr Longbeard . How do you get your pellets to fly in the exact same pattern every shot? I mean Mr. longbeard if you're all about the pretty picture of the turkey when patterning your gun it must be because those 12 pellets in the neck are going to be there on the next shot too right?

10 inch circle "hype" . lol. Buddy you really need to get away from your computer and stop being a internet turkey talker.

Almost 4000 posts! I'm just sayin'

Now i gotta log off. There is a public WMA in rural Ohio that is callin' me. Off to the real world of turkey hunting with my Hevi-13. Enjoy your computer Mr Longbeard

What you got another american doin your scouting for ya

I'll bet every turkey you've killed in the good ol USA was handed to ya on a silver plater... Hey I got a news flash for ya... To brag about hunting public land you also need to be the one finding the turkeys too CW
Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I could not find the Federal brand anywhere in the area so I bought the Remington Nitro number 6 shot to see how it patterned and it works great in my Mossburg 500 with the xx choke. Thanks for all the insight into various options for this gun and choke,I'm looking forward to seeing how it works on a real bird this week.