HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Gobble shakers & Fighting pur calls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/342845-gobble-shakers-fighting-pur-calls.html)

cwthunderchickens 03-31-2011 06:38 PM

Gobble shakers & Fighting pur calls

the other day i was hunting & slipped up on one gobbler set up probably 75 yards from him yelped a couple of times and he didnt see a hen and he went the other way in a hurry. someone told me to use a fighting purr or a gobble shaker to bring him in instead of yelping. so wat kind of shaker of purr box would yall recommend?

tedrow 04-01-2011 03:52 AM

when birds are that close your better off purring soft and scratching some leaves around. but anyways i have had good luck with fighting purrs when birds hang up. they are usually out farther than 100yds though. to many nutts around where i hunt to use a gobble shaker.

cwthunderchickens 04-01-2011 05:22 AM

okk thanks..i tried purring real soft to but i was in pine straw some scrathing wouldnt have helped much

jrbsr 04-01-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by tedrow (Post 3793663)
when birds are that close your better off purring soft and scratching some leaves around. but anyways i have had good luck with fighting purrs when birds hang up. they are usually out farther than 100yds though. to many nutts around where i hunt to use a gobble shaker.

X 2 the Gobbler Shaker will get you shot.
Some people hear a gobble, and shoot first then check later.

JMHO

EFH 04-01-2011 07:40 AM

You can scratch in pine straw, at 75yds he Han hear a cat poot! LOL! yea, scratching and purring would be the best bet. Ive also had luck with fighting purrs at longer distances. I had a bird hang up a ridge over from me that answered every call I made but wouldn't come in, not even the silent treatment worked! After deciding he was in a strut zone I cut, and when he answered, I used my gobble tube. About 5 min. went by, and I herd drumming, it was him, and he left with me! That being said, I've only spooked birds with the gobble tube on other hunts, and would only use it as a last resort now.

JoeA 04-01-2011 09:36 AM

Next time, try setting up near where he usually travels. Once he gobbles, give one or two soft yelps, followed by even softer clucks, and scratch the leaves. This often works well in late morning, when hens leave the flock to sit on their nests.

Make it easy for the tom to come to you, and you may better luck than trying to turn him around and head in a direction he doesn't want to go. Also, some birds will hang up when approaching the territory of another tom.

trmichels 04-02-2011 02:33 PM

Good advice, after 38 years of hunting and 20 years of guidind, one of my axioms about hunting is - "To best way to gat an an il to come to you is to 1. be in a pot it used o, 2, feels comfortable in 3 and is going to anyhow. Then ambuch them when they walk by.

In other words - spend enough time scouitng and obwerving to know the travel routes of the animals you hunt (called patterning), and get to where they are going - before they get there.

Another axiom of mine is is - "If it is too hot, too cloe, too wind , too wet, the light conditins arent' right, or ther are too may predators or too much hunting pressure - the animals aren't going to do what they normally do. So, figure out where they are gog to hold up and go ther, hunt an entirely different area - or stay home.

Personally I'm going to figure ouw were they hold up , nd smek in ther to hujnt them. I'm certainly not going to say home.

Some hunters know very littel about the biology and behavior of the animls, so they do not know wha they lke to eat, where thy like to restr, or waht weather conditions they will nd wont move in. READ some books that teach you about the biology and behvior of the aninals, do you know what they are most likely to do on any given day. There are some great books on game animal biology and behavior, and hunting techniques out there.

Many hunters do not spend enough time patternign aninls to know where they mormally bed and feed. and the travel routes they use between thowe two areas. Spend enough time scouting and observng the animals to be able to predict where they normally travel., where they rest and where they are likely to eat.

Killing the animls is only the culmination of the hunt. Teh fun, and the challenge, is in figuring the animsl habits ot, firurng out where they are, dn then outsmarting them.

give it a try - scouting is a l ot of fun.

God bdless. T..

EFH 04-03-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by trmichels (Post 3794236)
Good advice, after 38 years of hunting and 20 years of guidind, one of my axioms about hunting is - "To best way to gat an an il to come to you is to 1. be in a pot it used o, 2, feels comfortable in 3 and is going to anyhow. Then ambuch them when they walk by.

In other words - spend enough time scouitng and obwerving to know the travel routes of the animals you hunt (called patterning), and get to where they are going - before they get there.

Another axiom of mine is is - "If it is too hot, too cloe, too wind , too wet, the light conditins arent' right, or ther are too may predators or too much hunting pressure - the animals aren't going to do what they normally do. So, figure out where they are gog to hold up and go ther, hunt an entirely different area - or stay home.

Personally I'm going to figure ouw were they hold up , nd smek in ther to hujnt them. I'm certainly not going to say home.

Some hunters know very littel about the biology and behavior of the animls, so they do not know wha they lke to eat, where thy like to restr, or waht weather conditions they will nd wont move in. READ some books that teach you about the biology and behvior of the aninals, do you know what they are most likely to do on any given day. There are some great books on game animal biology and behavior, and hunting techniques out there.

Many hunters do not spend enough time patternign aninls to know where they mormally bed and feed. and the travel routes they use between thowe two areas. Spend enough time scouting and observng the animals to be able to predict where they normally travel., where they rest and where they are likely to eat.

Killing the animls is only the culmination of the hunt. Teh fun, and the challenge, is in figuring the animsl habits ot, firurng out where they are, dn then outsmarting them.

God bdless. T..

That's right! Dang man, I'm not a spelling B champ or anything, but that was painful! Haha!! Just kiddin ya!

Turkey Goddess 04-03-2011 12:44 PM

Man that looks like my spelling after 1 too many beers. Hey just for fyi, there is a spell check on here. I've had to use it, thankfully, when I was seeing double sentences.

archer125 04-05-2011 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by trmichels (Post 3794236)

God bdless. T..

Good information, but good lord that spelling is rough....