Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey slams

Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gun870guy
I probably won't, need to go to Florida sometime, but I have better things to do if I do go there.. Pretty much, as anything else, you can buy your slam... you just have to dump the money in it
True but you can make friends on here and hunt with each other. Thats how I pretty much got it done at a reasonable price.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

I am new to this site and noticed this post about Royal Slams. I am currently trying for a single season Royal Slam.

Since drawing a coveted Gould turkey tag in Arizona this past November I have been making plans.

I started in Texas the 19Th of March and bagged a Rio Grande (double). Then I headed for Florida on the 24Th where I hunted Saturday and Sunday for the Osceola around the Green Swamp with no luck. Headed for Georgia Sunday evening for my Eastern with tornado's all around. Got up Monday morning to the sound of thunder and rain hitting the roof, I didn't let that dampen my spirits and bagged the Eastern at about 10:30. Took a day to rest and headed back down to Green Swamp Tuesday night. Talked with three different gobblers at first light they hit the ground and quit talking turkey. I waited them out and one of the three decided he'd come see if he could find those hens talking early that morning he came in gobbling from about two hundred yards (the longest wait of my life) only to run into a load of number sixes. This completed my multiple season Grand Slam.

I start the Merriam's hunt in New Mexico on the 15Th for my single season Grand Slam and then the 22ND in Arizona for the single season Royal Slam
Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck Larswildu!!! Let us know how it goes!!! You should be in the turkey contest!!!

Kim
Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Larswildu
I am new to this site and noticed this post about Royal Slams. I am currently trying for a single season Royal Slam.

Since drawing a coveted Gould turkey tag in Arizona this past November I have been making plans.

I started in Texas the 19Th of March and bagged a Rio Grande (double). Then I headed for Florida on the 24Th where I hunted Saturday and Sunday for the Osceola around the Green Swamp with no luck. Headed for Georgia Sunday evening for my Eastern with tornado's all around. Got up Monday morning to the sound of thunder and rain hitting the roof, I didn't let that dampen my spirits and bagged the Eastern at about 10:30. Took a day to rest and headed back down to Green Swamp Tuesday night. Talked with three different gobblers at first light they hit the ground and quit talking turkey. I waited them out and one of the three decided he'd come see if he could find those hens talking early that morning he came in gobbling from about two hundred yards (the longest wait of my life) only to run into a load of number sixes. This completed my multiple season Grand Slam.

I start the Merriam's hunt in New Mexico on the 15Th for my single season Grand Slam and then the 22ND in Arizona for the single season Royal Slam
Thats awesome! Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bullmoose38
True but you can make friends on here and hunt with each other. Thats how I pretty much got it done at a reasonable price.
I didn't say it was what you did...
I stated that 90% of the guys that get this, or shoot most trophy animals, etc... usually just have the money to put towards it. I don't see it as a status of hunting expertise as some people do... Just means a person went to other places to shoot a bird utilizing an outfitter, guide, service, etc...
Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I for one take a little affence to the quote as I did not use outfitters at all and took the slam on management areas/ public land or I did pay a guy $50.00 tresspass fee's to hunt a small farm for a rio on the way back from a merriams trip. I guess it was the way you typed it..

I'm just like the next joe and work the same as the small guy,I did my homework and put it together ,, I however would love to win a lottery then look out !

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 04-04-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I got my rio and merriams buy swapping on this website. I have became super good friends with both of them since. I did save up the $$$ and pay for my osceola hunt. I figured since I did my others so cheap that I could splurge on the final bird.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Larswildu keep us informed. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

I am a blue collar worker and dont have my pockets laced with hundred dollar bills, and if I did i would still choose not to pay a guide service. Do it on public land or pay a small tresspassing fee.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Spike

Did my first Grand slam back in 2007. Did it all in the same season. This is the first season I will be trying since then. Great start as I have taken three eastern's here in Alabama and got my Osceola in the first 15 minutes of my hunt Friday. Great stories and pictures of all the slams. Good luck to everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.