Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Do you really need a camo shotgun? >

Do you really need a camo shotgun?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you really need a camo shotgun?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I had one camo gun once - laid it down and never found it!

That is Matte finish though.

There are times I do beleive that in sunlight and a high gloss blued barrel it may cost you a bird.

There is a few other factors to consider.

My Duck gun is camo (can double as a turkey back up if needed) and that Camo finish is far easier to take care of. It rust very little if at all.

So as Adrian said - Camo from head to toe and even with the gun - it may help you in some tough situations. But planning ahead and being in the shadows many a Gloss finish had killed a turkey. Done right all the Turkey should see is a "O"

JW

Last edited by JW; 03-28-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Nice JW! very nice!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

I will start by saying that one of the coolest parts of turkey hunting is putting on my mask, gloves, leafy suit, etc, and looking like a big pile of weeds. Packing a shotgun in Realtree APG just adds to that.
But...
I've had several camo turkey guns. 835, SX2, etc, in camo. My last turkey gun was all black and my current one is all black. I haven't noticed a difference in my success. (I looked cooler with the other ones though)
Here's something to think about (don't actually try this). Imagine you're the turkey looking at a hunter with a camo shotgun pointed at you and a hunter with a black shotgun pointed at you. The only thing you are going to see is the black hole at the end of the barrel on both of them
rw
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

not needed at all if you have a matte finish. if its a fancy polyurathane finish on wood and a gloss finish on reciever and barrel i would do something with it. when the sun hits that stuff it shines alot.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Spike

Not needed at all, but they sure look good.

Just have to watch shinny stocks and shinny bluing jobs which will bust you in a heartbeat if the sun hits it right.

I'll still take the camo though.
Attached Thumbnails Do you really need a camo shotgun?-dsc00221.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another - "nope". First 25+ turkeys I klilled were done in with an old Stevens Model B, SBS, 12 ga. , 2 3/4 in. .... with 30" F/F barrels. Heck I did not start wearing cammo until maybe 1980! (Army "woodland"). I must admit now that I go out looking like a 275# shrub and toting a "turkey gun" .... a fully cammoed Benelli Nova, 12 ga. that will handle 3 1/2' shells .... with a Pure Gold .670 choke. Can't say that it has made me any more dangerous to the gobblers. But man do I look the part!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

the answer is YES!

well not really, but I think a camo turkey gun is certainly more important than having a camo deer gun.

I used the tape, which is bad IMO prior to getting a camo 1187.
Also used a camo sock type cover which is way nicer, and I'd strongly recommend over the tape.

If you're going to hunt turkeys with a shotgun year after year, I'd def get a turkey setup, a camo 12ga 3" or 3.5"

I quality turkey gun can double as a great geese/pheasant gun, course I see newer turkey guns with 23" barrels instead of 26 or 28"

Basically I have a camo 26" remington 1187 has the screw in chokes, I love it.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Spike

How many turkeys fell in the 1600's untill modern times after being shot from muzzleloading shotguns with wood stocks by hunters wearing non camo wool clothing?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

I believe in personal camo clothing. I know fron experience that it works even at close range. On the other hand, I will not pay extra or even want camo firearms. I know from experience that, at least in deer hunting, my black or wooden stocks have never given me away. Movement is the thing that usually gives you away.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

no just a non glare finish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.