Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Squealing Hen Call?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Squealing Hen Call?

Has anyone used this new call that H.S. Strut came out with, its the called the squealing hen. Sounds like it could be a bust, if you tried it or know of some who has let me know. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Spike

Personally I have never used the call. But over the last year, I had the opportunity to raise 20 wild turkey and they started breeding just recently, and not once did I hear them make any noise that sounded anything like the squealing hen. Out of 5 different hens, only one made any noise at all when being bred, and it sounded like a young chick chirping, but it wouldn't be heard much over 5 yards away. So, I know my birds aren't exactly wild, but I think its a bust. Plus, I thought it was funny that there commercial showed two turkey breeding, yet they were a tame farm variety turkey, not wild strain pair. But thats just my opinion.
The call almost resembles the sharp whistle some birds make when they are grabbed and are scared. I was once told of a gentleman who shot and wounded a turkey, and when he was able to go up and catch it to put it down, the bird made a very loud distress screech that sounded a lot like a dying rabbit. Thats another possibility also.

Last edited by heuker; 03-27-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 AM
Fork Horn

I've never heard a hen squeal... This is like the "Cruncher" for deer, This is just the hen rape whistle.... When toms mount non-submissive hens they sqeal and other toms run to their aid.

I think H.S will probably come out with Turkey rut scent next...
Old 03-28-2011, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gun870guy
I've never heard a hen squeal... This is like the "Cruncher" for deer, This is just the hen rape whistle.... When toms mount non-submissive hens they sqeal and other toms run to their aid.

I think H.S will probably come out with Turkey rut scent next...

There was turkey scents in the 80s that you use for cover scent for deer hunting.
But it didn't last long.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have a friend who used that call before HS came out with it. he can do it with his diaphragm. He says it really does work.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is it probably works better as a locator call more than anything.

Watched em' use it on one of the hunting shows yesterday. The toms didnt seem interested in coming in. But that was only one experience ive noticed.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be 61 in a few weeks and have hunted turkeys for almost 50 years; I've never heard a hen make that noise - EVER. I like Hunter Specialties® products and use a lot of them with great success. The hen squealer however; is a total waste of money IMHO.

Last edited by dawei; 03-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet its a great call... if you're coyote hunting.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I know a bridge for sale!

JW
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

It makes a really good cow elk call as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.