Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hevi13 against Win HV #4's >

Hevi13 against Win HV #4's

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hevi13 against Win HV #4's

Old 03-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hevi13 against Win HV #4's

Was kinda board today so decided to try this again... I really didnt have much around the house to use as test material... I found two pieces of 1/2" fire board that has a very thin gauge metal wrapped around it... It is used to set behind your wood stove for wall protection from the heat...

Anyhow i only had two sheets so i opted to set them out at a measured 50 yards... I shot one with Win HV 3.5" 2oz #4's going 1300fps threw a Kicks GT...

The other was shot with a Hevi 13 3.5" 1 3/4oz of #6's 1090fps threw a jelly head choke...

The Win #4's all went threw the fire board hitting the sheet metal and leaving very pronounced dents...

The Hevi13 #6's all the pellets DID NOT pass threw the fire board and the dents WERE NOT as pronounced as the #4's...

This is the second test that I've done and both times the Win HV #4's out performed the Hevi13...

I dont know what to say but I will not be using them...

THE ONLY ADVANTAGE I SEE IS PATTERN DENSITY...

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 03-25-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

IS the pattern density better in the hevi #6s?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of pattern are you getting at 50 yards with those #4's?

How did the hevi #6's leave dents in the metal if they all didn't pass thru the board?

Glad you found a load you like.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tim03b
IS the pattern density better in the hevi #6s?

Yes the pattern was a little bit tighter...
Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
What kind of pattern are you getting at 50 yards with those #4's?

How did the hevi #6's leave dents in the metal if they all didn't pass thru the board?

Glad you found a load you like.

Well i said they all didnt go threw... That means that some did... The one that did... Hit the thin sheet metal on the other side

As for the pattern... I got 5 solid hits in the vitals with the #4's...

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 03-26-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Well i said they all didnt go threw... That means that some did... The one that did... Hit the thin sheet metal on the other side

As for the pattern... I got 5 solid hits in the vitals with the #4's...

Sorry for the confusion I read it as all of the #6's didn't go thru the board ie. not one made it.

I did some testing with some Hevi #7's the other day in Miss. at 32 yards. Got some of the pattern in the body. Found some pellets on the other side of the body, but the majority were a pass thru.

Good luck this year!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

It makes sence, #4 has a more energy then a number 6 so the hitting power will be somewhat more.

I always collect pizza boxes they make some good targets...
Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Banned

the lead #4 and the hevi #6 should be about the same weight. so therfore it comes down to velocity. and the win hv is 210 faster . so if you speed the hevi up they should penetrate about the same. now with that being said. you are right it is not very impressive and it is and expensive experiment. lead is so much cheaper...lol
Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
It makes sence, #4 has a more energy then a number 6 so the hitting power will be somewhat more.

I always collect pizza boxes they make some good targets...
a number 6 hevi will hit roughly as hard as a 4 lead
Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
a number 6 hevi will hit roughly as hard as a 4 lead
So - whats the quote about ? you trying to prove me wrong ?

You hit the whole point striaght with ROUGHLY something that means almost, close too, nearly the same, shall I go on ? you posted the same reply as I had only in different wording and then come back and quote me as I was wrong ?

Sorry , but there is no way in hell, that a shell even a hevi shot with a choke >>> Hevi 13 3.5" 1 3/4oz of #6's 1090fps threw a jelly head choke<<<< if the Winchester HV traveling faster and shot through a >>>>>Win HV 3.5" 2oz #4's going 1300fps threw a Kicks GT...choke----

The difference is 210 FPS shot through a choke that I'm sure has a different tapper inside (Punch: the Price of the two chokes) let alone, maybe A different constriction that could cause also MUCH faster and higher energy factor at the target a pond impact.

Now if you want to get technical and being in the carpentry buisness and understanding materials and UV light along with age of material>>>> I found two pieces of 1/2" fire board <<<< that were found ,could also have a difference with the light, heat, UV rays, age that were hitting the one pc over the other could cause a difference in strength and I have seen this, but we will assume that this is not the case and that the difference that YOU and I had pointed out in the first place is only the ammo and choke type and constriction.

Please do not try and prove others wrong by quoting a reply

I do this for a living so I try not to get to technial with replies and only apply the common sence answers that direct to the problem or difference...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.