HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   thinking about turkey hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/342441-thinking-about-turkey-hunting.html)

beaglefan 03-23-2011 03:23 PM

thinking about turkey hunting

I was thinking of going turkey hunting this spring, since my schedule has unexptecedly changed. It would be my first time and I am doubtful, since I have not seen/heard any turkeys on the land I hunt on. However the harvest reports show there are a lot of turkeys taken in that county. I had some questions and was just wondering what yall's thoughts are. I am in VA and they don't allow any shot bigger than 2. I have some #3 steel shot I bought for waterfowl. Would that work? Where is the best place to set up for turkey? woods? fields? near water? I don't have a call and use a modified choke, but I had a friend take one under the same circumstances.

kdsberman 03-23-2011 07:38 PM

You definetly dont need anything bigger than a #2 shot. As a matter of fact, most hunters probably use #5 shot. I also wouldnt recommend #2 shot anyway. Also, a big no on steel shot. For turkeys, its lead/copper, or a heavier-than-lead type shot, most commonly is Hevi-Shot. Hevi-Shot is a little more expensive, but it gives you the benefit of dropping down a shot size, therefore throwing a ton more bb's out, but still have just as much or more knockdown power. I would say when it comes to Hevi-Shot, #6 is probably the most popular. Do you need Hevi-Shot? Of course not. Many, many hunters still use regular turkey loads with nothin but great success.
If you are starting off and have a modified choke like you said, I would recommend a #5 shot and stay within 25 yards max. Back when I used a single shot 12ga w/modified choke, I stuck to that rule and never missed a bird.

The key is to practice. Find out how your gun shoots with different loads at different yardages. No better way than practicing with it.

As far as where to set up..it all depends on the land, and most importantly where they roost or go after fly down. Best thing to do is scout. Find out where the turkeys are. Look for feathers, tracks, droppings..etc. This atleast tells you that turkeys are here.

If you find out they do roost on your property, find out a general location where they roost, and that will make your morning hunts much easier. Sometimes its not that easy though. For example, for some reason, the turkeys dont roost on my property, but do travel on it. This definetly alters my game plan. Being that im used to it, I have a pretty good idea what the turkeys do and where they go during the day. This information gives me the best ideas on when and where to set up.

So again...SCOUT.

As far as calls go, try going to a sporting goods store that has them all laid out so you can try them out. When i started, I learned a slate call the easiest. You can get a decent sounding call for $20. Practice with it. Watch YouTube videos on how to use different calls, those will help.

And the most important bit of advice I can give you, being that you are a new turkey hunter..get ready for this...

PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!

Patience is THE best tool you can have.

These are just a few things to help you out, you will learn MUCH MUCH more from ol' Tom himself, the actual teacher.

Good luck to you and let us all know if you have any questions.

Hurricanespg 03-24-2011 10:08 AM

You could get you a box call and have the calls pretty well down within a short period of time.
I am not trying to be a smart alec, but hunt them wherever they are. Just get out there and find them!
I would recommend a #6 lead shell if you are going to use your modified choke. There is no need to step up to heavier than lead loads as you will not reach their potential with that choke, and you will have plenty of killing power as far as your pattern will allow.

Turkey Goddess 03-25-2011 03:55 PM

beaglefan - I hope you decide to go after a turkey this spring!!! Keep us posted on how it goes.

kds - hit a lot of it on the head - scout, patience & concealment are the key!!!

Check out the tips and tactics part of this forum - some really aweome info in there, archived by some of the BEST turkey hunters I've ever known!

Good Luck bud!

Kim :)

wastednights 03-25-2011 07:39 PM

I too would like to try Turkey hunting:D

I'll soon have enough frequent flyer points for a return trip to the USA, perhaps I'll get a chance in the not too distant future:party0005:

Turkey Goddess 03-26-2011 02:42 AM

wastednights - I hope you do too!!! There's nothing like it in the world... I know people who weren't really interested in trying turkey hunting, but avid deer hunters. Then opening morning, as they're gobbling on the roost, your heart's racing with anticipation - IMMEDIATELY HOOKED. It's amazing - and for me - it's under my skin like an addiction!!!

Keep us posted - do try it!!!

wastednights 03-26-2011 03:09 AM

Question time......

Trying to get my head around this, when does your season start and for how long?

What is this team thing? Is that a ballot type hunt, or something that is organised on this forum?

Do you need a permit, licence or tags?

Those Turkeys are certainly an impressive bird, do you get them mounted or get some sort of trophy from those beautiful fans?

hunt12ga 03-26-2011 03:58 PM

Wastednights, seasons start around this time of year and go for a month or so depending on which state you are hunting in. The team thing is just game here on this forum. We form teams and post our birds as we shoot them just for fun. We just play for bragging rights, no prizes.

As far as permits go, each state varies. You will need a hunting license and/or a turkey permit wherever you plan to hunt.

here are some mounts and fan displays at my in-laws' house.

wastednights 03-26-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by hunt12ga (Post 3791498)
Wastednights, seasons start around this time of year and go for a month or so depending on which state you are hunting in. The team thing is just game here on this forum. We form teams and post our birds as we shoot them just for fun. We just play for bragging rights, no prizes.

As far as permits go, each state varies. You will need a hunting license and/or a turkey permit wherever you plan to hunt.

here are some mounts and fan displays at my in-laws' house.

I'd love to get one of those fans, not too many aussie hunters with them in their trophy rooms

Turkey Goddess 03-27-2011 08:22 AM

Where do you get your mounts done hunt12ga?