Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Mossberg 835 overbored barrels >

Mossberg 835 overbored barrels

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg 835 overbored barrels

Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kpatte26
Thanks for the input...
But like I said my pattern is sweet enough out to 60 yards and I personally will never shoot at a bird that far... I sure as hell will practice at that range so that when I get a 30-35 yard shot it will be a chip shot!!!
Hurricane... Did you read that I had an 835???
My gunsmith did state that polishing a barrel on a remington or browning will improve the pattern but they were not designed like the mossbergs which have the overbored barrel with a rough finish to the barrel.
Actually, Brownings are backbored also.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
I did read that you have a 835, and I am not saying that you do not have a good pattern or that you cannot get a good pattern.

I am simply stating a fact that your gunsmith is wrong about Mossberg barrels. Yes the 835 is overbored, yes it has a rough finish inside, and yes it will improve patterns to polish the rough barrel.

As a matter of fact out of all of the guns that I have polished the barrels on, the Mossbergs have improved the most. I surmise that is the case because they have a rough barrel to begin with.
OK you peaked my interest...How do you polish the barrell? I assume running some type of hone down the barrell length.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Spike

I have an 835 that I am generally happy with. It shoots the patterns other posters said using the choke that came with the gun. I have several other chokes.

I have the Mossberg IC and mod chokes for it. The IC choke works well for jump shooting ducks. With 3.5” #4 HeviShot it is almost a no excuse for missing proposition. I have used the mod choke pheasant hunting not noticing any significant difference to a normal shotgun with 2.75” #6 low brass.

I have an aftermarket Dead Coyote choke that is specifically designed for use with Dead Coyote “T” shot loads. With it I get a 20” pattern at 60 yds.

I also have a Patternmaster choke for buckshot. I haven't tried it because I don’t hunt deer with buckshot. I am told it will extend the buckshot range over a normal gun. Supposedly it only works with Federal loads.

In addition to all that I have a cantilever rifled slug barrel. It shoots satisfactory groups at 50yds. However, it has a 3.5” chamber. The good groups I get are with 3.5” Lightfields. The recoil is horrendous. I haven’t tried it with 2.75” or 3” slugs, but I expect it will not group as well. This because the slug will not engage the rifling properly.

I have had some jamming issues with the 835. I learned that when cycling 3.5” shells you must slam the bolt back pretty hard for it to work properly.

Last edited by 762nato; 11-20-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Just my $.02...but every gun is different.

I have an 835 that wouldn't pattern well past 40 yards...and BELIEVE me, I tried everything...multiple choke/shot combos, just couldn't get it to pattern tight. I heard about a guy named Rob Roberts in Arkansas...seemed real knowlegable, he suggested lengthening & polishing the forcing cone, and he tried every choke/shot combo he could think of, and eventually built a custom choke for me. The gun shoots a TIGHT swarm at 50 yards now, that's the furthest I'll take a shot. His prices were reasonable, and I'd recommend him to anyone who can't fine tune their gun themself.

http://gobblerguns.com/