Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Does anyone us a single H&R for turkey >

Does anyone us a single H&R for turkey

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does anyone us a single H&R for turkey

Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does anyone us a single H&R for turkey

I am looking to buy my daughter 11 years old a 20ga shotgun for turkey hunting. This will be her first time ever going and I am not sure if she will take to it or not so I don't want to spend alot of cash on a gun.

I am looking at just the standard single H&R 20 ga handy rifle. My question is what type or pattern could I expect from this gun with a turkey load. Price $125 and the evil walmart.

Also any info on the 20ga NEF pardner pump? How heavy is the gun and is it any good? They have them and the evil Walmart for $157.

I have no one I know that has a 20ga for me to use just to see if she likes it.

Looking at price the pump is the better value but i have to consider her size. I am going to take her and see which gun she handles better.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I use the NEF pardner pump in the 12 gauge model and have shot two turkeys the last two years with it. For the money its a great gun, I am sure the 20 gauge would be the same. Only negative is I believe its made in china. Scoot
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I use a pardner pump in 12 guage. I love it have killed several turkeys with it. Only chambers 3" mags but thats ok for me. I have a .640 hastings choke in it and it is a turkey killer. Good gun for the price. Don't know about the 20 guage, my wife hunts with a remington 1100 20 guage for youth and it is crazy light. But it will through a pattern very well for 2 3/4" shells.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 20ga single shot H&R with choke tubes is a very nice turkey gun.
I drilled and tapped it, put a red dot on it, installed a Pure Gold choke, and shoot Nitro #7's out of her. Very good patterns, and lightweight.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by steve25
I am looking to buy my daughter 11 years old a 20ga shotgun for turkey hunting. This will be her first time ever going and I am not sure if she will take to it or not so I don't want to spend alot of cash on a gun.

I am looking at just the standard single H&R 20 ga handy rifle. My question is what type or pattern could I expect from this gun with a turkey load. Price $125 and the evil walmart.

Also any info on the 20ga NEF pardner pump? How heavy is the gun and is it any good? They have them and the evil Walmart for $157.

I have no one I know that has a 20ga for me to use just to see if she likes it.

Looking at price the pump is the better value but i have to consider her size. I am going to take her and see which gun she handles better.
The 20ga single shot H&R® will be very handy; the only drawback will be recoil because of light weight. My wife uses this gun & what I did for her was to fill the stock cavity w/7½ shot. I topped the last ¼" space w/hot glue & put the recoil pad back on.

A couple of things you can do to mitigate the recoil...........
• You pattern the gun w/the 3" Mag Turkey loads; not her.
• Have your daughter practice w/low base dove loads.

When it comes time for her to put the hammer down on a gobbler she won't notice the recoil. Two loads that pattern very well in my/wife's H&R®/NEF® 20ga are.........
• Winchester® Supreme® 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #5Pb (STH2035)
• Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok® 3" Mag 1185fps 1 5/16oz #5Pb (PFC258 5)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

I always pattern my guns for kids except my oldest recoil never has bothered him since he first started shooting at around age 8 with a 12ga and 30.06 and neither where youth models and he alway performed well at the range and has NEVER missed in the field hunting deer or turkey, he is 18 now, with him it is one shot one kill. Wish I could shot as good as him.

My middle son was a little scared of the 12ga so I done just as you suggested with him, let him shot very light loads. Then went turkey hunting with the 3" and he harvested his first bird on opening morning, he said he never felt the gun.

Recoil at the range is nothing like what you feel when you are all pumped up when shooting at game.

Last edited by steve25; 03-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used a single shot NEF 12Ga for several years with nothing but success. That gun never missed, as long as I kept it within 25 yards max. I did upgrade to the king of turkey guns (Mossberg 835) in case of longer shots and better patterns, but that single shot did me very well.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I ended up buying her a 20ga H&R compact Pardner pump. At the store she seemed to have no problem with holding the gun or working the action.

I know these are made in China but for the price ($159) I don't think you can bet them.

My only complaint so far is the action isn't as smooth as my 870.

I wish I could have afforded to get her an 870 because mine has never let me down!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to a local pawn shop yesterday and they had a used, but in great condition, 870 20 gauge for $210. Had a hard time not buying it, but couldn't justify it. Went back today to get it and it was gone. That H&R is decent. Throw a good choke on it and you should have a 30-35 yard gun with a good shot. With a 20 gauge, I would DEFINITELY suggest you spend the extra $$ to shoot some Hevi-Shot or something like it. You have less pellets, so take every advantage you have. I'd suggest #6, or even more the Magnum Blend. Should do you very well.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Had a heck of a time finding a choke for the 20ga. Most places where out of stock on the tubes that would fit it.

I ended up getting a Tightwad choke, it wasn't my first choice but my son has one on his 12ga mossberg and it patterned very well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.