Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hevi-Shot need advise

Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hevi-Shot need advise

I have a 12 ga 870 and I have a few questions on hevi-shot.

For a 3" shell what is a good size to shoot #7 or the ones with different size shot? Which do the 870's like the most, I know each gun is different.

Do you need a choke tube made for hevi-shot?

Right now I am using Win. Supremes 3" #5's.

Is it really worth the extra $$$$ you have to pay or is it just hype?

Last edited by steve25; 03-02-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

The choice is really yours. I us every advantage I can get. No, the hevi-shot does not need a special choke tube. I shoot a 3 1/2 mag. using a extra full choke tube with the hevi-shot #5's. I also use the Winchester Supremes #5's with the same set up. I bought the hevi-shot on 1/2 price sale at Gander Mt. last year and I guess that is how I got started. It is really hard to justify paying regular price of $4 to $5 per shell for the 3 1/2 mag. shells though. Good luck Jim
Old 03-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually Steve, you DO need a choke tube that can shoot Hevi-Shot. Not every choke tube allows it. If you notice, some will be LEAD ONLY. Make sure when you buy a choke tube, it says it can handle Hevi-Shot.

As far as "hype"...the hype is real. I questioned whether or not I should spend the extra money, and finally when I bought some Nitro shells with Hevi-Shot, i am glad I did. You will be glad you did.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, as stated above, you do need a choke tube rated for hs. Generally the difference is that those tubes have a little less restriction than ones for lead only. If you use the wrong tube you could possibly blow the tube or end of your barrel up. I agree the hype is justified. The stuff is awesome. Once you start shooting it you'll never go back. I can't say about your gun but in my remington 1187 the undertaker choke tube rated for hevi shot patterns awesome!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a 11-87. Last year i patterned my gun with win supreme #5s and the extra full choke that came with the barrel and it patterned pretty good. A friend told me to try magnum blend of #5s, #6s, and #7s and it patterned alot better than the win supremes at short and longer distances. The dealer told me that the #7s weigh more than the lead #5s. They are alot more expensive I try to buy a box here and there so its not as bad as buying alot all at once. I would at least buy one box and compare it to your ammo
Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy shoots an 870. We went out and shot his gun and my 835 a couple weeks ago. With the Jelly Head .660 choke and Hevi-shot 3" 2 oz #6s he was getting around 160-170 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. We also shot Remington Nitro turkeys and Winchester supremes. The Hevi shot was MUCH more dense of a pattern.

I've considered shooting 7s but I kinda like the idea of having a little more ass behind the shot. IMO
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot an 870 with a Jelly-head choke, but use Remington Wingmaster HD #6 shot 3.5"...devastating patterns. The Wingmaster HD's are 10% heavier than lead, and a bit cheaper than the Hevi-Shot. I bought 5 boxes on sale for 16.99 each a couple fall's ago and it has been one of the best purchases I have made. I have shot the Hevi-Shot #5's through this gun, and the patterns are very similar, but I'd have to give an extremely tight nod to the Wingmaster's. Give them a try...bet you'll like what you find with them.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Do you need a special choke for the Remington Wingmaster HD shells or will just a standard turkey choke do the trick?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:16 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I always shot Win. supreme until a couple years ago I went to hevi 13 #6. Last year I shot the magnum blend 3"! Wow, they hit hard! I don't shoot a 870 but I do think the hevi shot is worth it.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hevi shot is no hype, and you do need a choke tube rated for it. What kind of tube do you have? I've never shot hevi shot out of my 870 but my 835 loves 3.5" 2.25 oz #6 hevi-13s. My state doesn't allow shot sizes smaller than #6, I tried to enlighten the DEM last year when they were modifying regs, but they just didn't get it.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service