HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What is your favorite turkey hunting shotgun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/341127-what-your-favorite-turkey-hunting-shotgun.html)

Compton929 03-01-2011 02:53 AM

What is your favorite turkey hunting shotgun?

I am going to be buying a new shotgun strickly for turkey hunting on my R&R, and I have a few picked out. But I wanted to see what other turkey hunters prefer. Thanks for your input. Oh the shotguns i have picked out so far is the Benelli Nova, Remington 870, Mossberg 835, Remington 887.

gun870guy 03-01-2011 02:59 AM

I have 5 870's

Jim Williams 03-01-2011 04:04 AM

The Remington 870 has been tried and true for many years and you can not go wrong. I perfer a auto for turkey hunting and I use a Benelli Super Black Eagle. What ever you choose be sure it will shot 3 1/2" shells for that extra range you need at times. Jim

hunt12ga 03-01-2011 04:13 AM

I have turkey hunted with the following: Mossberg 88, 500, 835, 535, Winchester SX2, and Remington 870 SuperMag.

My favorite is the thumbhole 535 that I use now. It has a 20" barrel and I've had the trigger worked over and added an Indian Creek Black Diamond choke. It throws awesome patterns with Hevi-13's at 50 yards.

I'll explain my preference. The SX2 was a great gun, but it was a waterfowl model with a longer barrel that was just a hindrance in the woods. The Remington was an excellent shotgun, set up for turkey hunting. It seemed just too heavy for me. I walk a lot and enjoy a light shotgun. The 835 is the same way. It shot great, just more than I wanted to carry. The 500 and 88 are plenty good enough to kill ANYTHING with, but I just wanted something more. I picked up the 535 because I liked the lightweight frame and the thumbhole. I will tell you that the big rounds will rock you, but with the right choke you don't need them. I shoot 3" shells.

If you want to shoot 3 1/2" and don't like to get beat up, buy a 835.
If you want to shoot 3 1/2" and can take a punch and want a lightweight gun, go with a 535
If you plan to shoot 3" shells, you can get a camo thumbhole 500 for the price of the black 535 I have
If you aren't a Mossberg fan, disregard all this and buy a Remington or a Nova :)

Honestly, your best plan would be to go to a gun shop and get each one in your hands. That will make your decision much easier.

rw

wernerjd 03-01-2011 04:21 AM

benelli SBE.

jepcho 03-01-2011 04:33 AM

My wife shoots a mossberg 835 and that has always been a solid gun for her. Me, I love me Remington 1187. I have 2 of them. Both are superman 3.5" guns. The last one o bought is all I use for turkey now. It is mossyoak obsession camo and has a thumbhole stock and a short barrel with adjustable, rifle style, fiber optic sites.

Compton929 03-01-2011 05:21 AM

Hunter12ga. I think your right. I think i have to go and get hands on myself. My father has a Nova and i love shooting it, its a good duck and goose gun. But if I can find a scatter gun with thumbholes and all camo with in a reasonable price. But I have only found the 870 with a thumbhole. You said that mossberg has thumbhole as well ima have to look into that. Its just i dont have much time to look at all the stores and junk cuz I only have 2 weeks in the states during turkey season and I wanna get a New turkey gun and use it for the 2weeks im home. So gotta look up some mossbergs and some more Remingtons. Thanks for the help

Sheridan 03-01-2011 09:21 AM

Beretta Extrema, Camo of course.

Works great & doubles as my waterfowl gun as well.

steve25 03-01-2011 09:54 AM

My old 12ga 870.

It is a nice no frills gun that gets the job done. I have yet to shoot a gun that patterns as good as my 870.

The old girl was looking a little beat up so I decided to do a camo paint job on it myself. I think it turned out pretty good, a little dark, but that's ok i am no professional at this.

My first attempt failed due to me not letting the first coat dry enough and when I first finished it looked good but all the colors ran together in was black. So I stripped it down and removed the paint and redone it with better results I wish I would have let each color dry for a full day before adding the next color and I think it would have turned out better. Used a matte finish acrylic enamel to seal the paint.

EFH 03-01-2011 10:07 AM

Been shooting my Winchester 1300 short turkey for about 8 or 9 years now. It's got a 18 inch barrel and is light, very easy to tote in the woods.