Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

slate type calls

Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Spike

Default slate type calls

Why is it every time I try and use one in the field it doesn't work? I practice at home and never have a problem. Its almost like it is wet I keep it in my vest and have even tried wraping it in plastic. I have three different calls and they all do it do I just have crap luck or what. Box call hasn't failed me yet.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you keeping it sanded good?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

FWIW, I have been using slate calls for almost 40 years and I have no trouble with them, even in damp weather. The reason is that I sand the surface frequently and the striker also. IMHO slate produces the best sound of any pot call. My two best calls are a Lynch® Jet Slate™ purchased in 1978, and a Hunter Specialties® Ring Zone® w/a hickory striker bought in 2009. Without fail, day in and day out; these two calls produce results like no other.

Last edited by dawei; 02-27-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

I agree - slate produces the best sound of any call. We picked up a really cool box call at the NWTF convention. I'll have take pics and show u guys...

Carry around a little piece of 3M with you to scratch the slate/striker - or use a Bic Lighter on the slate surface and it'll dry it off if it's wet.

Kim
Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I carry my friction calls in my turkey vest with the calling surface facing me. I put a piece of fine grit sandpaper between the surface and vest so it dosent get polished up. Facing it that way also helps keep moisture away like dew as you walk through tall grass or brush limbs. I've used bowls, and like mentioned above they work. I just always seem to leave them against some random tree in the turkey woods that I can never find again! Haha!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

My calls always get wet, but it's because they are in my mouth! lol

sorry...had to do it

+1 on the striker, Kim. If the striker isn't taken care of, it doesn't matter how well the surface of your slate is.

rw
Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

"My calls always get wet, but it's because they are in my mouth! lol"

LOL!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 AM
Typical Buck

The key for sure is keeping it sanded. Do you condition the call in the same direction each time? That can help. Keep either a scotch guard pad or fine grit sandpaper with you if you don't. If it gets wet, wipe it down with a a dry towel/cloth and then recondition. Also the tip of the striker is key too.
One other trick take a small amount of baking soda with you and if the surface gets wet and you can't get a dry spot, drip the striker in the soda and use that. The abrasive action of the soda will give you the tack you need to call.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still learning... We all had to go threw it lol
Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Spike

Thanks for the tips hopefully I have no trouble this season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.