Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Ever lost a bird with #7 hevi shot??? >

Ever lost a bird with #7 hevi shot???

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ever lost a bird with #7 hevi shot???

Old 03-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deerdust
BTW- did take one with that set up in Nebraska while hunting with Lilhunter at 73 yds across a draw. My rangefinder was in the blind from the morning set up and we were off running n gunning. If I had known it was that distance, I wouldn't have taken the shot. None the less, I was impressed that I got that range.

73 yards with #7 hevi shot... Ok so what your saying is I should be able to kill a bird at 70+ yards with lead #5's???

If you said 55-60 I might buy it, Might... But 73 yards... Oh boy

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 03-07-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
73 yards with #7 hevi shot... Ok so what your saying is I should be able to kill a bird at 70+ yards with lead #5's???

If you said 55-60 I might buy it, Might... But 73 yards... Oh boy

A lead #5 and Hevi shot #7's still have enough energy to kill a turkey at 70 yards. I have never seen anyone get a good pattern at 70 yards with lead #5, and few people getting a good pattern at that range with Hevi shot #7's.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gobble!
the only reason a bird would fly off at that distance is if you missed him
You got that right.

I think Mr Longbeard needs to spend more time practicing his aim than bashing Hevi-13 loads.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 AM
Spike

50 yds is too far most shotguns unless you put a lot of 7's in his head and neck at that distance you should use magnum blend 5,6,7's they are deadly.An Ethical shot is the maximum killing range for your gun I dont like to shoot them over 40 yds.