HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Recoil Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/340094-recoil-question.html)

KsTurkeyDeer24 02-13-2011 02:53 PM

Recoil Question

Just wondering, how hard would the average 12 gauge 3 inch turkey load kick? Thanks

Turkey Goddess 02-13-2011 03:15 PM

To me - I think it depends on if you have a wood or synthetic stock. In my experience, the synthetic stock kicks quite a bit harder than the wood stock.

My wood stock 12 ga kicks a lot less than my synthetic stock - using the same loads. I imagine the wood absorbs shock better than the other.

I'm a "GIRL" and I can handle it no problem! Hope that helps some!

Kim :)

westcreek1 02-13-2011 04:23 PM

shoot someone's 3 1/2" first and the 3" won't feel so bad:wink:

JW 02-13-2011 04:32 PM

You will feel the kick of 3 inch turkey rounds patterning your gun ~ no doubt about that.

However,

Taking that shot at a big old Tom when he is in range - it don't matter as you never really feel the recoil of that one shot!

JW

Sheridan 02-13-2011 07:01 PM

"I'm a "GIRL" and I can handle it no problem! Hope that helps some!" Kim :)

So, man up ! Huh !!! LOL

kdsberman 02-14-2011 09:36 AM

Ya you'll definetely feel it, i wont lie. I use a "Lead Sled" now with my 3.5"ers, so I dont feel anything.

It wont knock you out or anything, just kicks hard enough to get your attention.

mrl0004 02-14-2011 10:14 AM

Hahaha. I've been patterning mine, as I use 3" shells. Not that bad from one, but shoot 10 diff. ones, and you will feel it. But it doesn't hurt, just a little sore.

KsTurkeyDeer24 02-14-2011 01:20 PM

So, if i had a 2 and 3/4 inch #6, and a 3 inch number 6, what would be the difference between those two? In recoil.

IL-Cornfed 02-14-2011 04:04 PM

It depends on the WEIGHT of the firearm and it's ACTION.... these are the factors that contribute most to any gun/load recoil.

A lightweight gun will kick harder shooting 2 3/4" loads than a 8 1/2 lbs gun shooting 3" loads.

What gun are you specifically speaking of ? Is the gun gas operated, does it have a ported barrel or a ported choke tube.... all these are factors.

Bocajnala 02-14-2011 04:13 PM

You won't even notice it when shooting at a turkey.
-Jake

nate121080 02-16-2011 10:18 AM

Ports really dont help tame recoil. They are there more to help strip the wad. Other than weight being a factor; action type has a lot to do with felt recoil. A gas operated gun will kick the less then the inertia types (benellis) pumps, singles, and SxS/OU. How much payload and how fast the payload is traveling effects it as well. Bottom line 3" turkey loads kick and a 3.5" in the right (well wrong depending on how you look at it :) will absolutely stomp you. You are getting up into the 375 H&H recoil category then.

Sheridan 02-16-2011 10:29 AM

If recoil becomes a big issue, maybe you should consider golf !?!? LOL

Let's be real.................we're hunters, not tennis players.

mrl0004 02-16-2011 12:40 PM

Hey! Im a hunter AND a tennis player. Far from a 'sissy' sport, most who think that have never played it competitively!

nate121080 02-16-2011 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3774275)
wrong nate, ported chokes do the same thing for shotguns that muzzle brakes do for rifles, they cut recoil and reduce muzzle jump, air resistance strips the wad.
RR

Im not going to argue with you on that but think about it. A ported choke tube is not the same thing as a ported rifle barrel. Call indian creek and just ask them or kicks or pure gold. They design theirs to strip the wad not to reduce recoil.

Sheridan 02-16-2011 03:20 PM

.......and in fact you want the wad to keep the shot together longer when hunting turkeys.

Helps for longer/tighter shot patterns.

Mr1004 - sorry about the tennis reference, I should have used checkers players but I'm sure I will hear from them next. (Did you notice the LOL after my comment).

I know tennis players are tough.....................

HighKnob 02-17-2011 07:24 AM

My wife shoots a 3.5 and does ok with it.

Hurricanespg 02-17-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3774340)
they do make wad stripper chokes but ports have nothin to do with it. and wad strippers aren't really good for turkey hunting.
RR

Stripping the wad is great for turkey hunting. It allows the wad to fall away fast and clean without disruption to the shot column. That is the reason Indian Creek (among others) design them this way.

hunt12ga 02-17-2011 02:53 PM

If you are used to shooting 2 3/4" dove loads, a 3" turkey load will get your attention. If you've ever shot 2 3/4" slugs, you can handle a 3" turkey load. And if you feel the need for the 3 1/2" shells... well... up your life insurance ahead of time! LOL

I've shot many 3 1/2" shells, and they won't kill you. I'm used to a shotgun, so 3" shells don't even phase me. (after a patterning session I can tell I've been shooting though) Your first one will surprise you. Just keep the gun in the meat of your shoulder and keep your cheek down. And WEAR HEARING PROTECTION! Guns don't kick nearly as bad when you can't hear them.

rw

36fan 02-18-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by hunt12ga (Post 3774817)
Your first one will surprise you. Just keep the gun in the meat of your shoulder and keep your cheek down. And WEAR HEARING PROTECTION! Guns don't kick nearly as bad when you can't hear them.

rw

Double up the hearing protection. You won't flinch as much in anticipation of the recoil if the firearm discharge is muffled.

EFH 02-19-2011 06:28 AM

IL-cornfed is right, it all depends on the gun. I have a Winchester short turkey with a 18 in barrel and shoot 3's, and it kicks more than any 3.5 i've shot. Don't think they make one that kicks hard enough to not want to turkey hunt! LOL! For the most part you shouldnt have any trouble, it's not that bad, the girls are doing it!

trackerbucky 02-23-2011 09:22 AM

+1 on the double hearing protection. Using plugs and muffs both will reduce the apparent recoil.

You won't notice it at all when a longbeard is in your sights even without hearing protection.